ARTICLE AD BOX
Last Updated:August 29, 2025, 09:19 IST
Suspect voters were mostly in East & West Champaran, Madhubani, Kishanganj, Purnia, Katihar, Araria, and Supaul, which have a porous border and have been in political crosshairs

1.96 lakh claims and objections have been received so far as per ECI data. (PTI)
Three lakh people in Bihar have received notices as part of the ongoing Special Intensive Revision (SIR) exercise, sources in the Election Commission have told CNN-News18. The notices ask the “suspect voters" to appear before the officials concerned within the next seven days to explain the “discrepancies in their submitted documents".
“These three lakh people had enrolled themselves in the draft voter list as per SIR. However, scrutiny of documents showed discrepancies. Subsequently, field visits were carried out which further led to suspicion that these people might be from Bangladesh, Myanmar or Nepal," an official in the know told CNN-News18.
Notices have been sent to suspect voters, mostly in districts of East Champaran, West Champaran, Madhubani, Kishanganj, Purnia, Katihar, Araria, and Supaul.
This area of Seemanchal has a porous border and has often been in political crosshairs. While BJP has alleged illegal immigration by Bangladeshis and Rohingyas in this region, parties like Asaduddin Owaisi’s AIMIM have said that the people in this belt are uneducated, living in flood-prone areas and therefore most vulnerable to losing documents.
What Do Rules Say?
As per the SIR orders, “no name can be deleted from the draft list published on 1st August 2025 without passing a speaking order by the ERO/AERO, after conducting an enquiry and after giving a fair and reasonable opportunity".
EC officials usually conduct an enquiry if an objection is filed against a suspected voter. But sources said in the case of these three lakh people, scrutiny itself revealed discrepancies. “Most of them were not part of the 2003 voter list. Their names, addresses and other details were found mismatched in the Aadhaar and other submitted documents," an official said.
A total of 1.96 lakh claims and objections have been received so far as per ECI data. Most of these claims and objections have been filed by individuals, while 82 have been filed by political parties, including three from RJD and 79 from CPI (ML).
The number of notices being sent could go up as the electoral registration officers continue to scrutinise documents. A total of 7.24 crore electors made it to the draft rolls and 65 lakh names were deleted in phase one of SIR. Electors have time till September 1 to submit one of the 11 specified documents to make it to the final electoral rolls.
Arunima is Editor (Home Affairs) and covers strategic, security and political affairs. From the Ukraine-Russia War to the India-China stand-off in Ladakh to India-Pak clashes, she has reported from ground zero ...Read More
Arunima is Editor (Home Affairs) and covers strategic, security and political affairs. From the Ukraine-Russia War to the India-China stand-off in Ladakh to India-Pak clashes, she has reported from ground zero ...
Read More
- Location :
- First Published:
August 29, 2025, 09:19 IST
News elections EC Sends Notices To 3 Lakh 'Doubtful Voters' In Bihar Over 'Discrepancies' In Documents
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More