ARTICLE AD BOX
Last Updated:August 30, 2025, 00:32 IST
Israel had previously instituted what it termed “tactical pauses” in Gaza City and two other densely populated areas to allow humanitarian aid deliveries.

The intensified military campaign comes after weeks of preparatory strikes and warnings (File Photo/AP)
Israel has escalated its military offensive in Gaza’s largest city, officially designating it as a “dangerous combat zone" on Friday, reported the Associated Press. The Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) also announced the recovery of the remains of two hostages during what it described as the “initial stages" of a long-anticipated offensive.
The Israeli military confirmed on Friday that it had retrieved the remains of Ilan Weiss and another unnamed individual, both of whom were among the 251 hostages taken by Hamas-led militants during the October 7, 2023, attack. Nearly 48 hostages are still believed to be held in Gaza, including approximately 20 that Israel considers to be alive.
“The campaign to return the hostages continues continuously. We will not rest or be silent until we return all of our hostages home — both the living and the dead," Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a statement.
The intensified military campaign comes after weeks of preparatory strikes and warnings. Israel had previously advised residents to evacuate the city ahead of the expanded military action, with a stated goal of dismantling Hamas infrastructure in the area. Despite these warnings, many civilians, humanitarian organisations, and religious groups have chosen to remain in Gaza City, citing the lack of safe evacuation routes and their responsibility to support vulnerable populations.
One such group is the Holy Family Church of Gaza City, which told the Associated Press on Friday that approximately 440 people continue to take shelter at the church. Clergy members have chosen to remain alongside them to provide support. Similarly, the UN’s humanitarian agency has confirmed that its staff and partner NGOs remain on the ground, continuing operations despite the escalating violence.
The UN reported on Thursday that around 23,000 people had evacuated Gaza City over the past week in anticipation of intensified military action. The IDF, meanwhile, has mobilised tens of thousands of reservists as part of its offensive push.
“We will intensify our strikes until we bring back all the kidnapped hostages and dismantle Hamas," Israeli army spokesperson Avichay Adraee stated.
Israel had previously instituted what it termed “tactical pauses" in Gaza City and two other densely populated areas to allow humanitarian aid deliveries amid mounting international criticism. Last month, in response to global pressure, Israel also pledged to allow more food and aid into the region. However, by midday Friday, the military confirmed the suspension of those pauses, signalling a renewed phase of intensified combat.
As the conflict deepens, the humanitarian toll in Gaza continues to climb. According to figures released Friday by the Gaza Health Ministry, more than 63,000 Palestinians have been killed since the war began. The ministry, governed by Hamas, does not differentiate between civilians and militants in its casualty counts. Nonetheless, the UN and various independent experts regard it as the most reliable source for casualty data from within the territory.
Additionally, the ministry reported five deaths in the past 24 hours linked to malnutrition-related causes, bringing the total number of such fatalities to 322 since the outbreak of war. Israel, however, disputes the accuracy of the reported figures.
Despite international condemnation from multiple countries and humanitarian groups over Israel’s actions in Gaza, the Israeli government maintains that neutralising Hamas is essential to national security. Prime Minister Netanyahu has repeatedly stated that crippling Hamas’ capabilities in Gaza is vital to prevent a repeat of the October 7 attack, which resulted in widespread casualties and hostilities.
- Location :
Palestine
- First Published:
August 30, 2025, 00:32 IST
News world Israel Declares Gaza City 'Combat Zone', Recovers Remains Of Two Hostages
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More