ARTICLE AD BOX
Dallas Mavericks chaos erupts as Mark Cuban’s confession sparks viral debate and team parts ways with 23-year-old star (Image Source: Getty Images)
An NBA owner stepping down usually transforms not only the front office but also the team's culture. That is precisely what supporters of the Dallas Mavericks have been seeing since Mark Cuban sold most of his ownership in 2023. The story now features harsh words, unexpected actions, and a roster change many did not anticipate.
Mark Cuban opens up about Patrick Dumont’s role
Mark Cuban, a long-standing Dallas Mavericks owner, sold a majority share of the team to Miriam Adelson and her son-in-law, Patrick Dumont, in December 2023. An agreement worth around $3.5 billion. Cuban retained a minority share, but the NBA prevented him from running basketball operations.
Speaking on The Arena podcast on YouTube earlier this month, Cuban admitted he has struggled with that transition. He described Dumont, who now serves as team governor, as someone still learning the game but eager to succeed.
“The guy who bought it, Patrick Dumont, he didn’t know basketball coming in,” Cuban said. “But he’s learning fast. He’s smart, he’s putting in the time, and he’s willing to spend the money. That’s all you can ask.
”For Cuban, the hardest part is no longer making final calls on trades or draft picks. “That’s been the toughest part, just not being the final decision-maker when it comes to on-court decisions,” he said. His words highlight how much influence he once held, especially during deals involving stars like Luka Doncic.
Dallas Mavericks waive Olivier-Maxence Prosper to free roster spot
On August 28, the Dallas Mavericks quietly released 23-year-old forward Olivier-Maxence Prosper, a 2023 first-round pick. The move was executed under the NBA’s waive-and-stretch provision, which allows the team to spread his remaining $3 million salary across three years, creating flexibility under the league’s second apron cap rules.Prosper, drafted 24th overall, averaged just 3.5 points per game across two seasons.
He struggled for minutes behind Anthony Davis, P.J. Washington, and rookie Cooper Flagg. Sources confirmed the Mavericks first tried to trade him but could not find a deal.This decision also addressed roster needs. With guard Kyrie Irving out after an ACL injury in July 2025, Dallas lacked depth at point guard. By cutting Prosper, the Mavericks freed space for talks to re-sign Dante Exum, who had previously shot 47% from three-point range in Dallas.Also Read: NBA legend Magic Johnson steals the show with his inspiring presence at Dodgers' All Access EventThe move reflects a new, pragmatic approach under Patrick Dumont’s leadership—different from the fan-first style Mark Cuban was once known for. Cuban himself admitted on another podcast that he “still spends hours watching video and looking at analytics,” but now those efforts have little effect on the team’s actual decisions.