ARTICLE AD BOX
Last Updated:May 23, 2026, 07:57 IST
While some lawmakers continue to demand the complete scrapping of the H-1B programme, USCIS has not indicated any plans to end it.

(Representative Image)
The Donald Trump administration on Thursday said H-1B visa applications saw a steep decline this year following major changes to the selection process for the work visa programme. Describing the move as a crackdown on misuse, the administration asserted that “the days of abusing the programme with mass, low-wage registrations are over."
Figures released by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showed that valid H-1B registrations for fiscal year 2027 dropped to 211,600 from 343,981 in fiscal year 2026, a decline of 38.5 per cent.
The H-1B visa programme, extensively used by Indian professionals seeking employment in the United States, has faced increased scrutiny in recent years. The White House had previously introduced tougher wage norms and increased application fees, saying the measures were aimed at preventing abuse of the system.
In a post on X, USCIS said, “This data is a clear sign that the days of abusing the program with mass, low-wage registrations are over, and that the programme is better serving its intended purpose of attracting highly skilled foreign workers and protecting the wages, working conditions, and job opportunities of American workers."
The agency said the composition of selected applicants was also changing. Critics of the H-1B system have long argued that some firms use the programme to recruit lower-cost foreign workers rather than highly skilled talent.
According to USCIS, more selected applicants now possess advanced academic qualifications and higher salary packages. It said 71.5 per cent of selected candidates held US master’s degrees or higher, compared to 57 per cent last year. The agency noted that the trend indicated more foreign students graduating from American universities were securing H-1B visas.
USCIS also said it was tightening scrutiny on wage levels associated with H-1B jobs. It stated that it was “closing the door" on low-skilled and low-wage workers, noting that only 17.7 per cent of approved applications belonged to the lowest wage category.
While some lawmakers continue to demand the complete scrapping of the H-1B programme, USCIS has not indicated any plans to end it. The visa allocation process for the upcoming year has already concluded, and the next registration cycle is expected to begin early next year.
The administration said the latest figures reflected the impact of its policy overhaul, with the revised system now prioritising candidates with stronger qualifications and higher-paying job offers.
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
Location :
United States of America (USA)
News world ‘Days Of Abuse Are Over’: Trump Administration As H-1B Applications Drop 38.5%
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More
1 hour ago
4





English (US) ·