ARTICLE AD BOX
Last Updated:May 23, 2026, 08:13 IST
As negotiations with Iran drag on without a breakthrough, Trump reviewed military contingency plans while Pakistan and Qatar pushed fresh mediation efforts in Tehran.

US President Donald Trump. (AFP/File)
As negotiations between the United States and Iran continue without a breakthrough, US President Donald Trump on Friday convened a high-level meeting with his senior national security team amid growing speculation that Washington could again consider military action against Tehran.
According to an Axios report citing two US officials, Trump is now “seriously considering" launching fresh strikes against Iran unless negotiations produce a last-minute diplomatic breakthrough.
The development comes at a sensitive moment when diplomatic channels remain active but increasingly fragile, with signs emerging that patience inside the White House is wearing thin.
Who Attended Trump’s Iran Meeting?
Axios reported that the meeting included Vice President JD Vance, Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, CIA Director John Ratcliffe, White House chief of staff Susie Wiles and other senior officials.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Dan Caine reportedly did not attend the meeting. According to Axios, Rubio was in Europe while Caine was attending the Naval Academy graduation ceremony.
Sources familiar with the discussions told Axios that Trump was briefed not only on the status of negotiations with Iran but also on military contingency planning and multiple scenarios that could unfold if diplomacy collapses.
The White House later altered Trump’s weekend schedule following the meeting, further fuelling speculation about the seriousness of the situation.
Pakistan’s Asim Munir Reaches Tehran Amid Last-Ditch Diplomacy
At the same time, regional diplomatic efforts also intensified.
Pakistan Army chief Asim Munir travelled to Tehran in an apparent last-minute effort to help bridge differences and prevent a renewed phase of the conflict. A Qatari delegation also arrived in Tehran to support ongoing mediation efforts.
According to the report, Munir is expected to meet Gen. Ahmad Vahidi, a senior commander in Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), on Saturday. Officials involved in the process described the negotiations as slow-moving and increasingly difficult, with major gaps persisting on core issues.
A US official familiar with the diplomatic efforts described the negotiations as “agonising", with draft proposals “going back and forth every day" without much progress, according to Axios.
The report also said Tehran is currently reviewing a fresh US proposal transmitted earlier this week, which one source reportedly described as a “final offer" warning that renewed military action could follow if diplomacy fails.
Why Trump’s Schedule Change Triggered Speculation
Several developments later on Friday further intensified speculation that Trump may be preparing for a major decision on Iran.
The White House announced a sudden change to Trump’s weekend schedule, saying he would return to Washington after a planned speech in New York instead of spending the weekend at his Bedminster golf club.
Trump also posted on Truth Social that he would skip Donald Trump Jr.’s wedding this weekend because of “circumstances pertaining to Government".
“I feel it is important for me to remain in Washington, D.C., at the White House during this important period of time," Trump wrote.
Is Trump Moving Closer To Military Action?
According to Axios, Trump had earlier told Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday that he wanted to give diplomacy another opportunity. However, sources familiar with the discussions told the publication that by Thursday night Trump had started leaning more towards military action.
Two people reportedly told Axios that the President’s mood had shifted in recent days from cautious patience to growing frustration over Iran’s negotiating stance.
One source close to Trump claimed the President has discussed the possibility of carrying out a final “decisive" military operation after which he could potentially declare victory and end the conflict quickly.
However, neither the White House nor Trump has publicly confirmed any final decision on renewed military action so far.
What Has Iran Said About The Talks?
Iran’s Foreign Ministry on Friday acknowledged that talks were continuing but suggested that a final agreement remained distant.
Iran’s semi-official Tasnim News Agency, which is affiliated with the IRGC, quoted a source close to the Iranian negotiating team as saying discussions over disputed issues were still ongoing and “no final result" had yet been achieved.
The source also said the current focus remained “ending the war" and insisted that no other issue would be negotiated before that objective was achieved.
Meanwhile, CNN reported, citing multiple sources familiar with US intelligence assessments, that Iran has already started reviving parts of its drone-production network within weeks of the ceasefire that ended three months of active hostilities involving the US and Israel.
According to the report, Iranian authorities appear to be rebuilding segments of the country’s military-industrial infrastructure faster than US officials had expected.
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
News world Fresh Strikes On Iran Back On Table? Trump Reviews Military Options As Peace Talks Drag On
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More
45 minutes ago
2





English (US) ·