ARTICLE AD BOX
Last Updated:August 30, 2025, 17:33 IST
The Israeli military declared Gaza City "a dangerous combat zone", ahead of a looming offensive to capture and occupy the largest city in the enclave amid global outrage.

Israel plans to occupy Gaza City to cripple Hamas. (AFP photo)
Israel is expected to slow or halt the entry of humanitarian aid into parts of northern Gaza as it expands its military offensive to cripple Hamas, an official told The Associated Press.
The official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said Israel will stop airdrops over Gaza City in the coming days and reduce the arrival of aid trucks into the northern part of the strip as it prepares to evacuate hundreds of thousands of residents to south Gaza.
This came a day after the Israeli military declared Gaza City “a dangerous combat zone", and daily pauses in military activity that had allowed limited food deliveries would no longer apply there, ahead of a looming offensive to conquer the largest city in the Strip after nearly two years of devastating war.
“We have begun preliminary operations and the initial stages of the attack on Gaza City, and we are currently operating with great force on the outskirts of the city," said Israeli military spokesperson Avichay Adraee.
Israel is under mounting pressure at home and abroad to end its offensive in Gaza, where over 63,000 Palestinians have been killed and the vast majority of the population has been displaced at least once.
Evacuation Efforts Spark Fears
Last week, the United Nations declared a famine in the Gaza governorate last week, blaming “systematic obstruction" by Israel of humanitarian aid deliveries. However, Israel has denied the report and said that Gaza City’s evacuation was “inevitable".
In a statement on Thursday, COGAT, the Israeli defence ministry body that oversees civil affairs in the Palestinian territories, said it was undertaking preparations “for moving the population southward for their protection".
Philippe Lazzarini, head of the UN’s Palestinian refugee agency UNRWA, warned that there were “nearly one million people between the city and the northern governorate who basically have nowhere to go, have no resources even to move".
Additionally, the head of the Red Cross warned on Saturday that it would be impossible to keep people safe during a mass evacuation of Gaza City as Israel expands its offensive.
“It is impossible that a mass evacuation of Gaza City could ever be done in a way that is safe and dignified under the current conditions," said Red Cross President Mirjana Spoljaric, adding that such a measure would provoke a massive population displacement that no other area in the Gaza Strip is equipped to absorb amid severe shortages of food, shelter, and medical supplies.
Israel reaffirmed that the military would intensify its strikes until all hostages held in Gaza were returned and Hamas was dismantled “militarily and politically". It also recovered the remains of two hostages during an operation in Gaza.
Of the 251 hostages seized during the October 2023 attack, 47 are still being held in Gaza, around 20 of whom are believed to be alive.
(with inputs from agencies)
Aveek Banerjee is a Senior Sub Editor at News18. Based in Noida with a Master's in Global Studies, Aveek has more than three years of experience in digital media and news curation, specialising in international...Read More
Aveek Banerjee is a Senior Sub Editor at News18. Based in Noida with a Master's in Global Studies, Aveek has more than three years of experience in digital media and news curation, specialising in international...
Read More
- Location :
Jerusalem, Israel
- First Published:
August 30, 2025, 17:33 IST
News world Israel To Slow Or Halt Humanitarian Aid In Parts Of Northern Gaza Amid Global Outrage
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More