ARTICLE AD BOX
Michael Jordan’s controversial leaked messages spark lawsuit feud that could change NASCAR forever (Image via Getty)
Michael Jordan’s private text messages came out in court this week as his NASCAR team’s fight with the series turned ugly. The NBA legend, who co-owns 23XI Racing with Curtis Polk and Denny Hamlin, is in a legal battle with NASCAR over its charter system.
On Thursday in North Carolina, court documents showed heated texts and emails, including Jordan using strong words against Joe Gibbs Racing and other teams that signed NASCAR’s new charter deal last September.
Michael Jordan and 23XI Racing at the center of NASCAR charter fight
The case was heard earlier this week in Charlotte, North Carolina, where U.S. District Judge Kenneth Bell warned that NASCAR’s charter system itself could be at risk. Charters work like team licenses and guarantee a spot in the weekly races.
Last year, only Michael Jordan’s 23XI Racing and Front Row Motorsports refused to sign extensions on the charter agreements. Both teams later sued NASCAR, accusing it of running a monopoly and threatening their survival.
During the hearing, previously private exchanges were shown in court. In one, Michael Jordan texted Curtis Polk, “Teams are going to regret not joining us.” In another, Polk told Jordan, “This is just a hobby!!!” to which Jordan joked back, “Only can play but so much golf.”The texts also revealed Michael Jordan talking about paying for a new driver, saying, “I have lost that in a casino.
Let’s do it.” Steve Lauletta, the president of 23XI Racing, also wrote in one message about NASCAR chairman Jim France, saying, “Jim dying is probably the answer” to getting a better deal.NASCAR leaders had their own expletive-filled emails exposed too. Steve Phelps, the commissioner, complained the talks “offered zero wins for the teams.” President Steve O’Donnell called one early version of the deal “dictatorship, motorsport, redneck, southern, tiny sport.”Also Read: “They Wanted The Publicity”: Islam Makhachev's Coach Claims Syko Stu Provoked Rampage Jackson’s Son Raja Jackson During Violent KnokX Pro Wrestling Assault
Denny Hamlin, Tyler Reddick and Bubba Wallace caught in the middle
The fallout could hit drivers as well. Tyler Reddick, who races for 23XI, has a clause in his contract that lets him leave if his car is not chartered. Court filings showed that both Reddick and sponsors have already warned they may walk away if the team loses its charter spot. Bubba Wallace, also with 23XI, is currently in the playoff field along with co-owner Denny Hamlin, who drives for Joe Gibbs Racing.After court, Michael Jordan told reporters he was ready to settle but also prepared to fight until trial, set for December 1. “Look, I’ve been a fan of the game for a long period of time,” Michael Jordan said. “When we first started this whole process I’ve always said I want to fight for the betterment of the sport… If I have to fight this to the end, for the betterment of the sport, I will do that.”