ARTICLE AD BOX
![]()
SRINAGAR: Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha on Saturday led the Nasha Mukt Jammu and Kashmir march in south Kashmir’s Shopian district, saying the anti-drug campaign has now become a grassroots movement. Addressing the gathering, Sinha said voices are rising across Jammu and Kashmir, with people urging the administration not to spare a single drug smuggler.
“What began 43 days ago in Jammu has now surged into a powerful grassroots movement, echoing across communities with unstoppable force,” he said. Sinha had launched a 100-day intensive drive under the Nasha Mukt Abhiyaan on April 11 to make Jammu and Kashmir “drug-free”. The campaign included large-scale awareness programmes by the civil administration and police, destruction of poppy cultivation, random urine testing of drivers, and intensified crackdowns on drug networks.
Awareness drives were also carried out in schools and government institutions. According to officials, 797 FIRs have been registered and 894 alleged drug smugglers and peddlers have been sent behind bars in the past 43 days. Officials said 59 alleged traffickers were arrested under PIT-NDPS provisions, while 81 narcotics-related properties built using traffickers’ black money were demolished. They added that 101 immovable properties had been attached and seized, and recommendations had been made to cancel the passports of 22 alleged smugglers.
Sinha said a comprehensive rehabilitation policy was also being prepared. “Our aim is not only to free addicted youth through de-addiction programmes but also to reintegrate them into the mainstream by providing employment and jobs,” he said. “Today I want to state unequivocally: whether an official or anyone in public life, if they are in any way connected to the drug network or lend it support, they will face strict legal consequences. I assure the people that if even the slightest trace of this infection has seeped into our system, it will be mercilessly cut out without hesitation,” he added.

English (US) ·