Significant lapses at Sigachi: CS’ counter affidavit in HC

10 hours ago 3
ARTICLE AD BOX
The blast site at Sigachi industrial unit in Pashamylaram, Sangareddy district.

The blast site at Sigachi industrial unit in Pashamylaram, Sangareddy district. | Photo Credit: MOHD ARIF

The investigations conducted so far into the explosion at Sigachi industrial unit revealed that there were significant lapses in safety protocols, regulatory compliance and emergency preparedness.

Stating this in a counter-affidavit filed before the Telangana High Court, which was hearing a PIL plea over the blast that resulted in the death of 46 persons and disappearance of eight more, the Chief Secretary K. Ramakrishna Rao said that several deficiencies were experienced while fighting that fire and during rescue operations. There were no open spaces on the industrial unit premises located at Pashamylaram in Sangareddy district.

The fire personnel could not find details of the staircases in the factory, which turned out to be a drawback for access. The CS noted that adequate firefighting equipment was not provided on the factory premises. Noting that the factory building collapsed due to the explosion, the CS said the debris comprised chemicals and drugs (like Micro Crystalline Cellulose) powder. While this obstructed the retrieval of bodies, the non-availability of water made the firefighting even more difficult, the affidavit stated. The Director General Disaster Response and Fire Services had lodged a complaint against the company management in the court concerned.

The CS stated that the Industries department “has no authority to check for violations or issue prohibitory orders”, adding that its role was “limited to the implementation of” the State Industrial Policy. “The department is promotional and has no regulatory authority,” the affidavit said. According to the CS, forensic experts under the supervision of the police collected 73 samples of human remains for examination.

Blood samples of 56 family members of the unidentified victims were also collected and sent to the forensic science laboratory. With the matching of samples, 26 bodies were identified, while relatives recognised 12 more bodies at the spot. Eight persons were identified while undergoing treatment but they eventually succumbed to their wounds.

The preliminary enquiry conducted by the Department of Factories on June 30, on the day of the explosion itself, suggested that the explosion originated in the manufacturing block. A combination of factors, including static electricity generation, dust concentration and potential equipment malfunction, could have triggered the explosion, the department opined.

While the interim report of the experts committee was submitted to the government, the final one was awaited, the affidavit said.

Published - August 29, 2025 09:41 pm IST

Read Entire Article