ARTICLE AD BOX
Last Updated:May 13, 2026, 22:47 IST
Prohibitory orders in Bhopal after a minority man was assaulted and paraded with cow dung, six arrested, protests by Muslim groups demand strict action and NSA charges

Muslim organisations and their supporters, who staged the protest, demanded strict action against the accused persons. (Representative Image)
Prohibitory orders were issued as tensions gripped Madhya Pradesh’s capital city, Bhopal, after the assault of a man.
A man, who belongs to the minority community, was assaulted, smeared with cow dung and paraded on the street, allegedly by members of a right-wing outfit, after he was found with a woman of another community in a hotel. The police filed a case based on viral videos and arrested six persons, including a minor, Hindustan Times reported.
In a viral video, a group of workers from a right-wing organisation can be seen storming a hotel room in Gautam Nagar. The group members later paraded the man on a Bhopal street after smearing ink and cow dung on his face.
Govindpura police station in-charge Awdhesh Tomar, under whose jurisdiction the incident took place on May 10, said a case was registered against unidentified persons under BNS section 299 (Deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage religious feelings of any class by insulting its religion or religious beliefs) after receiving multiple complaints, one of them from a cleric.
Following the incident, members of the Muslim community gathered outside the Bhopal Police Commissioner’s office and staged a protest, briefly disrupting traffic. Police officials intervened to control the situation.
Muslim organisations and their supporters, who staged the protest, demanded strict action against the accused persons. They warned of a bigger protest if the culprits were not arrested quickly.
Police Commissioner Sanjay Kumar met Bhopal’s Qazi-e-Shahar (religious authority for the Muslim community), Syd Mushtaq Ali Nadvi, and later said that a case had been registered against unidentified individuals.
The IPS officer assured that action will be taken against police personnel if they are found lax in handling the sensitive matter.
Lok Sabha MP Asaduddin Owaisi’s All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) demanded that the police register a case against the accused persons under the National Security Act (NSA) and said the matter is “extremely serious".
(with inputs from PTI)
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
Location :
Bhopal, India, India
News india Tensions Grip Bhopal After Man Assaulted Over 'Love Jihad'; 6 Held, Prohibitory Orders Issued
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More
1 week ago
6





English (US) ·