'Will Break Naval Blockade': Iran Threantens Withdrawal From NPT If 'Enemy' Attacks On Hormuz

43 minutes ago 2
ARTICLE AD BOX

Last Updated:May 24, 2026, 20:24 IST

Iran warns it may quit NPT and break any naval blockade if the Strait of Hormuz is attacked, as Trump touts a near Iran peace deal and talks continue over sanctions and blockades.

 AFP File)

Previously, US President Donald Trump announced that a peace agreement with Iran has been “largely negotiated" and will include the full reopening of the Strait of Hormuz without tolls. (Image: AFP File)

After US President Donald Trump claimed of a peace-related agreement with Iran, military adviser to Supreme Leader on Sunday said Tehran may withdraw from the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) if the “enemy" attacks the Strait of Hormuz.

Mohsen Rezaei said Tehran will “break the naval blockade" and may withdraw from the NPT if the “enemy" attacks the Strait of Hormuz.

In March, Iranian politicians pushed to exit the NPT. It would be meaningless for Iran to remain a signatory to the international treaty as it “has had no benefit for us", Al Jazeera quoted Ebrahim Rezaei, spokesman for the national security commission of parliament, in apost on X.

The authorities have repeatedly accused the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) of being complicit in attacks against Iranian nuclear sites.

Previously, Trump announced that a peace agreement with Iran has been “largely negotiated" and will include the full reopening of the Strait of Hormuz without tolls.

This follows an intensive period of reciprocal naval blockades and a severe military conflict that erupted on February 28, 2026. Trump previously issued a “final" ultimatum demanding free traffic of oil and emphasised that reopening the waterway is a non-negotiable term.

Trump confirmed he held productive separate calls regarding the deal with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and the leaders of Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Qatar, Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, and Bahrain.

“Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly," he wrote on Truth Social.

While US Secretary of State Marco Rubio confirmed “some progress made", Iranian State Media and Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei pushed back slightly.

“The trend this week has been towards a reduction in disputes, but there are still issues that need to be discussed through mediators. We will have to wait and see where the situation ends in the next three or four days," said Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei.

Iran described Trump’s characterization as “incomplete and inconsistent with reality," clarifying that while Hormuz is being discussed, any final mechanism must be strictly coordinated between regional bordering nations like Iran and Oman. They expect an additional 30 to 60 days of negotiations to iron out the finer details.

Iran has demanded supervision of the strait, an end to the U.S. blockade on its ports and the lifting of sanctions on Iranian oil sales.

Baghaei said the issue of the U.S. blockade on Iran’s shipping was important, but that its priority was ending the threat of new U.S. attacks and the ongoing conflict in Lebanon, where Iran-allied Hezbollah militants are fighting Israeli troops who have moved into the south.

Handpicked stories, in your inbox

A newsletter with the best of our journalism

News world 'Will Break Naval Blockade': Iran Threantens Withdrawal From NPT If 'Enemy' Attacks On Hormuz

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Entire Article