ARTICLE AD BOX
Last Updated:May 22, 2026, 13:33 IST
The judges also criticised the WFI for deviating from its earlier policy of accommodating accomplished athletes.

Vinesh Phogat showed up at the National Open Ranking Tournament. (ANI Photo)
The Delhi High Court on Friday questioned the Wrestling Federation of India’s (WFI) decision to bar Vinesh Phogat from domestic competitions, observing that the federation’s actions appeared inconsistent with its past approach towards established athletes.
Hearing Phogat’s appeal against a single-judge order denying her interim relief, a bench led by Chief Justice D K Upadhyaya and Justice Tejas Karia asked the Centre to constitute an expert panel to assess the wrestler and facilitate her participation in the upcoming Asian Games selection trials.
Phogat, who is attempting a return to competitive wrestling after a maternity break, has challenged the WFI’s decision declaring her “ineligible" for the May 30-31 trials.
During the hearing, the bench repeatedly questioned the rationale behind the federation’s stance, especially given Phogat’s stature in Indian wrestling.
“She became a mother in July 2025. We are in May. She is a wrestler of international repute. Why can’t it be presumed that you changed it (selection criteria) for her. Whatever may be the feud or dispute, why should the cause of sports suffer? Motherhood is celebrated in the country, should it come to the detriment of a person?" the court orally remarked.
The judges also criticised the WFI for deviating from its earlier policy of accommodating accomplished athletes, saying the “change in circular says all" and that such conduct was “not in the best interest of sports."
The court’s observations came after government counsel submitted that the Sports Authority of India’s regulations permit relaxation of eligibility criteria in deserving cases. The bench then directed the Centre to form a panel of experts to evaluate Phogat’s prospects.
“Ask the experts to evaluate her chances.. Ensure that she participates," the court orally said, adding that it would hear the matter again at 2:30 pm after the government provided further details regarding the expert panel.
Senior counsel appearing for Phogat argued that the federation was deliberately attempting to keep her out of competition. Referring to the show-cause notice issued on May 9, a day before Phogat competed in a domestic event in Gonda, the counsel submitted that “somebody is clutching at straws" to remove her from the sport.
The bench also took exception to the language used in the notice, particularly the reference to her Paris Olympics disqualification as a “national shame." It questioned whether the WFI had altered the selection rules specifically to target her.
Under the federation’s current rules, Phogat has been barred from participating in domestic events until June 26, 2026, due to a mandatory six-month notice period linked to anti-doping regulations for athletes returning from retirement.
Despite the restriction, she participated in the National Open Ranking Tournament in Gonda.
Phogat had earlier emerged as one of the leading faces of the 2023 protest by women wrestlers against alleged sexual harassment by former WFI chief Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh. In August 2024, she was disqualified from the 50kg final at the Paris Olympics after being found 100 grams overweight during the morning weigh-in.
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
News sports other-sports 'Wrestler Of International Repute': Delhi HC Slams WFI, Asks Center To Ensure Vinesh Phogat's Participation
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More
59 minutes ago
2




English (US) ·