33 dead in East Jaintia Hills coal mine blast, CM tells assembly

1 hour ago 3
ARTICLE AD BOX

33 dead in East Jaintia Hills coal mine blast, CM tells assembly

Shillong: A total of 33 people have died following a deadly explosion at an illegal coal mining site in the Mynsngat-Thangsko area of East Jaintia Hills district, Meghalaya chief minister Conrad Sangma informed the legislative assembly on Monday.Making a suo motu statement on the first day of the budget session, the CM said two deaths reported by families were later verified by authorities, taking the toll to 33 as of Feb 16.He said an enforcement team has been constituted, raids and seizures intensified, and additional police personnel along with drones deployed across East Jaintia Hills district to curb unlawful operations.The explosion occurred on Feb 5 at an illegal mining site, triggering large-scale search and rescue operations involving the district administration, police, SDRF, NDRF, fire and emergency services, and medical teams.Ex-gratia relief has begun, with Rs 24 lakh already disbursed to the families of eight victims, while compensation for the remaining families is underway.“Search and rescue operations were formally closed on Feb 9 after consultations with all rescue agencies,” Sangma said.Preliminary findings suggest the blast was likely caused by the use of explosives during illegal mining, with unstable underground conditions posing severe risks to miners and rescue personnel.

Seven people have been arrested so far in connection with the incident. The govt has intensified its crackdown on illegal coal mining and transportation across East Jaintia Hills district.A district task force led by the deputy commissioner is monitoring enforcement operations, which include seizures of illegally mined coal, recovery of explosives, registration of FIRs, arrests, dismantling of cranes and machinery, and promulgation of prohibitory orders under the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS).The CM also announced the constitution of a judicial enquiry commission under the Commission of Inquiry Act, 1952, notified on Feb 4.The commission will be headed by Justice (retd) RS Chauhan, former chief justice of the Uttarakhand and Telangana high courts, and has been given six months to submit its report.Sangma reiterated that the state govt remains committed to curbing illegal mining while moving towards regulated, scientific mining, with several proposals already approved and more pending clearance with the Centre.

Read Entire Article