AI startup founder claims wearables stolen from AI summit's 'high-security zone'

1 hour ago 3
ARTICLE AD BOX

A Bengaluru-based AI startup founder alleged that the company's wearable devices were stolen when exhibitors were asked to vacate their stalls ahead of the PM's visit.

 X/ @imDhananjay)

The AI startup founder alleged the devices were stolen from inside a high-security zone at the AI summit. (Image: X/ @imDhananjay)

Sreya Chatterjee

New Delhi,UPDATED: Feb 17, 2026 21:09 IST

A Bengaluru-based AI startup founder has alleged that his company’s wearable devices were stolen from inside what he described as a “high-security zone” at the India AI Impact Summit 2026 in Delhi on Monday. A case has been filed in connection with the incident.

Dhananjay Yadav, founder of NeoSapien, took to X to recount what he called a “shocking” experience on the opening day of the summit, claiming the theft occurred after exhibitors were asked to vacate their stalls ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit.

“Day 1 of the AI Impact Summit turned to be a pain for us,” Yadav wrote. “I came genuinely excited... it was the first time the summit was being hosted in India, and I wanted to show up personally to support the ecosystem and the government’s push.”

He said that at around 12 noon, security personnel arrived to sanitise and cordon off the area ahead of the Prime Minister’s scheduled visit at 2 pm. “I explained that we’re building India’s first patented AI wearable at NeoSapien and requested a chance to showcase it,” he said.

According to Yadav, there appeared to be a “lack of co-ordination between the security itself.” While one officer allegedly allowed him to stay, another group later ordered him and his team to leave immediately.

“I asked: ‘Should we take our wearables?’ They said, others are leaving even laptops behind, security will take care. Trusting them, I left,” he wrote, adding that the gates were closed from 12 pm to 6 pm — “much much longer than expected.”

When they were allowed back in, he claimed, the devices were gone.

“Later we found out that our wearables were stolen,” he wrote. “Only to see our wearables disappear inside a high-security zone. If only security and official entourage had access, how did this happen? This is extremely disappointing.”

AI startup founder claims wearables stolen from AI summit’s ‘high-security zone’. (Image: X/ @imDhananjay)

Following the complaint, Delhi Police have registered an FIR in connection with the reported theft. Sources said an investigation is currently underway and CCTV footage from the venue is being examined to identify those involved and establish the sequence of events.

According to police sources, lockers had been provided to exhibitors for safekeeping of valuables, but some chose not to use them.

The incident unfolded on a day that saw massive crowds at the summit, billed as one of the world’s largest artificial intelligence gatherings. Over 70,000 people attended the opening day, Union Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw said, describing the response as “phenomenal” while apologising for the inconvenience faced by participants.

“This is the biggest AI summit in the entire world. The response is phenomenal,” Vaishnaw said at a press conference at Bharat Mandapam. “If anybody has faced any problems yesterday, we apologise for that.”

On Day 2, Dhananjay Yadav said the response from authorities was reassuring.

“After yesterday’s chaos, the team from Delhi Police has been extremely proactive and supportive, I am very confident they’ll get to the bottom of the incident,” he wrote, adding that the event felt “much smoother” with strong footfall across booths.

- Ends

Published On:

Feb 17, 2026

Read Entire Article