ARTICLE AD BOX
The Centre told the court that of the 217 Indian nationals who had joined the Russian armed forces, 139 had been released through diplomatic intervention, while 49 had died, 6 remained missing and the status of 23 others remained unknown.

Mutilated remains of deceased Indians are coming back from Russia, petitioners told the Supreme Court while alleging inaction against recruitment agents.
The Supreme Court on Friday heard a petition filed by families of Indian nationals allegedly duped into joining the Russian armed forces and forced to fight in the Ukraine war, with petitioners telling the court that bodies of deceased Indians were being returned in a “mutilated” condition.
Appearing before a bench led by Chief Justice of India Surya Kant, the petitioner’s counsel said several families were struggling not only with the deaths of their relatives but also with delays in compensation and lack of information regarding the return of mortal remains.
“I had to make calls to the families that the people have passed away,” the petitioner’s counsel told the court, adding that “bodies are coming back mutilated."
The Centre told the court that of the 217 Indian nationals who had joined the Russian armed forces, 139 had been released through diplomatic intervention, while 49 had died, 6 remained missing and the status of 23 others remained unknown.
The counsel alleged that despite Russian authorities offering compensation and pension benefits to families of the deceased, the required paperwork and follow-up were not being properly facilitated.
The petitioners also claimed they had provided authorities with details of agents and mobile numbers allegedly involved in recruiting Indians for the Russian military, but no concrete action had been taken.
Responding to the allegations, Additional Solicitor General Aishwarya Bhati said the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) was fully cooperating on the diplomatic aspects of the matter. She accused the petitioner’s side of “sensationalising” the issue.
The court also observed that if the families were entitled to any “consequential benefits”, including compensation, the MEA should facilitate the process.
In an affidavit filed before the court, the MEA said that the Indian nationals had joined the Russian armed forces through “employer contracts”, many of them lured by promises of high salaries, signing bonuses, Russian citizenship and social security benefits.
According to the affidavit, recruits were offered a signing bonus of around USD 5,000 and a monthly salary of approximately USD 2,500.
The ministry said some families were aware that their relatives had joined the Russian Army and approached the Indian Embassy only after losing contact with them.
The ministry said the Indian Embassy had extended financial assistance under the Indian Community Welfare Fund for repatriation of the mortal remains of 24 deceased Indians. So far, the transportation of mortal remains has been facilitated in eight cases with the consent of families.
However, petitioner's lawyers alleged in court that in at least one case involving deceased Indian national Sumeet Sharma, the family learnt about the return of the body only after the MEA affidavit was shared with them in court proceedings.
The ministry’s affidavit further stated that DNA records of immediate family members of 21 individuals had been sent to Russia to assist in identifying remains. One family has already submitted DNA samples for testing.
- Ends
Published By:
Shipra Parashar
Published On:
May 22, 2026 17:31 IST
45 minutes ago
2





English (US) ·