ARTICLE AD BOX
Last Updated:February 21, 2026, 15:52 IST
The US Supreme Court dealt a major blow to the Trump administration by ruling that it did not have the legal authority to impose sweeping global tariffs under emergency powers.

Union Minister Prahlad Joshi. (ANI)
In its first response to the US Supreme Court’s decision to strike down reciprocal tariffs imposed by American President Donald Trump, Union Minister Prahlad Joshi on Saturday said the Centre will examine the ruling and either the Commerce Ministry or the Ministry of External Affairs will officially react to it.
“I have read in the media that the US top court has given some judgment and the Indian government will study that, and whatever the reaction needs to be given, that will be given by the Commerce Ministry and MEA, not by me," Joshi was quoted as saying by news agency ANI.
Joshi’s remarks came after the US Supreme Court dealt a major blow to the Trump administration by ruling that it did not have the legal authority to impose sweeping global tariffs under emergency powers.
ALSO READ: India, Others Will Now Face 10% US Tariffs, Says White House Official
In a 6–3 decision, the court said the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) does not give a president the power to introduce broad, across-the-board tariffs on imports. The judgment could open the door to refund claims potentially worth tens of billions of dollars.
Within hours of the ruling, Trump appeared before reporters and announced a new round of tariffs, signalling that his trade agenda would move forward despite the setback. The president declared a fresh 10 per cent global tariff to be added on top of existing duties.
Trump also said the existing trade framework with India will continue unchanged. Responding to a question about whether the trade deal or framework with India would still stand, Trump said, “Nothing changes. They will be paying tariffs. And we will not be paying tariffs. This is a reversal for what it used to be."
He also referred to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, saying, “India, Prime Minister Modi is a great man but he was much smarter than the people he was against in terms of the United States. He was ripping us of."
“We made a deal with India. It is a fair deal now and we are not paying tariffs to them. We did a little flip," he added. He also reiterated the claim that India backed down from purchasing Russian oil on his request, which New Delhi has not explicitly confirmed so far.
India has not officially reacted to the Supreme Court’s decision or Trump’s following remarks.
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
First Published:
February 21, 2026, 15:52 IST
News india 'Centre Will Examine Ruling': Prahlad Joshi On US Top Court Verdict To Strike Down Trump's Tariffs
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More
1 hour ago
4






English (US) ·