The Forest Department has issued notices to several families in Yadamane village, Sagar taluk, asking them to vacate and hand over the land they have cultivated for decades to the department. This has left the residents worried.
Farmers’ organisations and politicians from the taluk have criticised the State government for issuing notices to the families who moved to their current location after giving up their land due to the construction of a dam across the Sharavathi River.
The Range Forest Officer (RFO) of the Sharavathi Wildlife Range served notices to the families, citing the order issued by the Assistant Conservator of Forests (ACF) of the Kargal Wildlife Division.
The Forest Department had filed cases against the families who encroached upon forest areas as early as 1998. The ACF heard the case, and an eviction order was passed in January 2013. Now, 13 years later, the RFO has served notices to the families to move out. Over the years, the families had cultivated areca, paddy, and other crops. After the notices were served, leaders from both the Congress and the BJP visited the families and conveyed their support.
Where will the go?

Former Minister and BJP leader Hartal Halappa addressing a press conference on the issue of notices served to families of Yadamane, in Shivamogga, on Friday. | Photo Credit: S.K. Dinesh
Former Minister Hartal Halappa, at a press conference in Shivamogga on Saturday, stated that the families had moved to Yadamane in the 1960s, as per instructions from the then-officers. “They are not encroachers of the forest area. They gave up their land for the construction of the Linganmakki Dam and moved out. Now, they are being forced to move out again. Where will they go, leaving behind the land they have cultivated for decades?” he questioned.
Stating that the affected families were all small and marginal farmers with less than three acres of land, the BJP leader urged the State government to come to their rescue and not disturb them. He maintained that the BJP would stand by the families and fight for their rights.

Shivanand Kugve, vice president of Rajya Raitha Sangha, advocate K.P. Sripal, and others speaking to the media in Shivamogga on Friday. | Photo Credit: S.K. Dinesh
Farmers’ organisations have resolved to protest against the Forest Department’s actions. Shivanand Kugve, vice president of the Karnataka Rajya Raitha Sangha, stated that the notices had left the farmers in shock. “The officers are harassing the families. The elected representatives have failed to come to the rescue of the farmers. We will protest seeking justice for the families,” he said.
Advocate and activist K.P. Sripal noted that among the families who received notices, a couple had already moved out, fearing further action by the Forest Department. “The families are innocent, and they did not know the consequences of the order issued by the ACF in 2013. They did not challenge the order at a higher level,” he said
No forcible eviction
When The Hindu contacted Prasanna Krishna Patagar, Deputy Conservator of Forests (Wildlife) in Shivamogga, he stated that his department had issued notices as the case had been booked and was heard under Section 64A of the Karnataka Forest Act. “We are not forcibly evicting them. Our officers have met with the families many times and convinced them. Some of them are willing to move out as they do not receive any facilities in that place. Even if their crops are damaged by wild animals, they do not receive compensation,” he stated.
1 week ago
15







English (US) ·