ARTICLE AD BOX
![]()
Former LIV golfer Eugenio Chacarra sacrifices possible US Open spot chasing long term PGA Tour future (Image via Getty)
Former LIV Golf player Eugenio Chacarra made a surprising choice during US Open qualifying on Monday when he walked away from a playoff spot to catch a flight to Belgium. The 26-year-old Spaniard was still in the fight to become an alternate for next month’s US Open at Shinnecock Hills Golf Club, but he decided his bigger goal right now is earning a PGA Tour card through the DP World Tour.
Chacarra had been part of a six-man playoff for the final US Open spot. After Caleb Surratt made a birdie putt to secure the last direct place, the remaining five golfers were left competing for two alternate spots. That meant they could still get into the tournament later if another player withdrew.But before the playoff continued, Chacarra suddenly left the course. Many fans and golf followers were confused because alternate spots at major tournaments are usually seen as very valuable opportunities.Golf account Monday Q Info posted on X, saying: “Very odd scenario in the 6 for 1 playoff. On the first hole Caleb Surratt made birdie to win. The other five players made par and moved on to play for 1st and 2nd alt. Both VERY important at this site. And Eugenio Chacarra just left. Not sure what happened or he didn’t understand importance of the alternate spots. Absolutely bizarre.”Soon after, Chacarra explained his decision himself on X. He said: “I left because my goal it’s to get my PGA Tour card through the DP Tour and for me to prepare Belgium the right way was to get that flight.”
He also wrote: “When you fly to Europe you lose one day and that was the only chance I had to get there on time to get some rest and practice the course.”Eugenio Chacarra says DP World Tour and PGA Tour card chase matter more than US Open alternate spot



English (US) ·