Gianluca Prestianni Breaks Silence On Controversial Comment About Vinicius Junior

1 hour ago 4
ARTICLE AD BOX

Last Updated:February 21, 2026, 08:35 IST

Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni submits evidence to UEFA amidst investigation into alleged racist abuse of Vinicius Junior during Champions League clash.

Benfica players imitating a monkey as Vinicius Jr. walks in front of them (AFP, X)

Benfica players imitating a monkey as Vinicius Jr. walks in front of them (AFP, X)

Star Benfica and Argentina winger Gianluca Prestianni has already submitted evidence in UEFA’s investigation into his alleged racist abuse of Vinicius Junior during Real Madrid’s Champions League playoff clash at Benfica this week, as per a report by ESPN.

UEFA has launched an inquiry into the second-half incident at the Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on Tuesday, after a flashpoint that occurred following Vinicius netting the match’s only goal.

Vinicius accused Prestianni of hurling abuse at him, covering his face with his shirt as tensions flared, an incident that resulted in a 10-minute stoppage before the game resumed.

As per the report, 20-year-old Prestianni told investigators that he used an anti-gay slur in Spanish toward Vinicius, rather than the word ‘mono’, which translates to ‘monkey’.

After the game, Aurelien Tchouameni told Spanish television that Prestianni had offered that explanation when he was confronted over the incident.

Real Madrid have submitted a dossier containing ‘all available evidence’ to UEFA as part of the ongoing investigation.

“I heard it. There are Benfica players that also heard it," Kylian Mbappe had said.

Real Madrid coach Álvaro Arbeloa requested authorities to take action against Prestianni, saying at a Friday news conference that he hopes the case becomes a ‘turning point’ in football’s fight against racist abuse.

“Any entity or person subject to these regulations who insults the human dignity of a person or group of persons on whatever grounds, including skin colour, race, religion, ethnic origin, gender or sexual orientation, incurs a suspension lasting at least 10 matches or a specified period of time, or any other appropriate sanction," the regulations say.

Meanwhile, SL Benfica have launched their own investigation into two supporters who were caught on video appearing to make monkey gestures toward Vinícius during the teams’ UEFA Champions League clash earlier this week.

Handpicked stories, in your inbox

A newsletter with the best of our journalism

First Published:

February 21, 2026, 08:35 IST

News sports football Gianluca Prestianni Breaks Silence On Controversial Comment About Vinicius Junior

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Entire Article