Indian Man Convicted Of Rape In London After Luring Woman With Fake Job Offer

2 hours ago 8
ARTICLE AD BOX

Last Updated:February 22, 2026, 06:33 IST

An Indian citizen residing in Northolt, was convicted of rape, attempted rape, assault by penetration, two counts of sexual assault and one count of common assault.

 It emerged in court that Singh's victim thought she was in contact with a woman, who claimed to be able secure her shifts as a care worker. (Representative image)

It emerged in court that Singh's victim thought she was in contact with a woman, who claimed to be able secure her shifts as a care worker. (Representative image)

A 37-year-old Indian man has been convicted of rape and multiple sexual offences after luring a woman to a London hotel under the pretence of offering her employment, with police warning he may have been a serial offender.

Gurwinder Singh (37), an Indian citizen residing in Northolt, was convicted at Southwark crown court last week of rape, attempted rape, assault by penetration, two counts of sexual assault and one count of common assault, news agency PTI reported.

He has been remanded in custody and is due to be sentenced on April 15.

According to the Metropolitan Police, Singh posed as a woman on WhatsApp offering job opportunities. In June 2025, he contacted a woman and told her he could arrange care worker shifts. He asked her to meet at a hotel in Paddington, claiming she would be assisting in caring for an injured sportsman.

Singh met her at the station saying he was a care assistant who would be working alongside her. At the hotel he left her in a room and said the patient would arrive soon. Shortly afterwards, Singh returned to the room claiming he was the “sportsman" and undressed, telling her he needed a massage.

When the woman refused, he became violent and assaulted and raped her.

The victim managed to flee the hotel, where members of the public assisted her into a taxi. Later that evening, she received a phone call warning her that the assault had been recorded and would “go viral" if she reported it. Despite the threat, she contacted police the following day.

Detectives arrested Singh at the same hotel in August 2025. A search of his home led to the seizure of nine electronic devices. Forensic examination revealed he had posed as the woman offering employment to gain the victim’s trust.

Investigators also found that Singh had booked rooms at the same hotel more than 100 times between December 2024 and August 2025. Detectives believed that there may be more victims.

The police have issued an appeal particularly directed at women from the Indian community in the Hayes and Southall areas, although officers are urging anyone who may have had contact with Singh online to come forward.

They appealed to any other “victim-survivors" impacted by Singh to contact independent charities such as Rape Crisis for expert guidance and support, if they do not wish to approach the police directly.

“They are particularly keen to hear from women in the Indian community who live in the Hayes or Southall area, as they believe he may have targeted a specific community," the Met Police said in a statement on behalf of the detectives investigating the case.

“However, detectives are keeping an open mind and are appealing to anyone who may have met or spoken to Singh online, or anyone who has any information about his offending," they said.

Detective Constable Lydia Webb, who led the investigation, praised the victim’s bravery in reporting the assault and said police would handle any further reports with sensitivity and compassion. Authorities also encouraged victims to seek support from specialist organisations such as Rape Crisis if they do not wish to approach police directly.

“The victim in this case has shown incredible courage in coming forward and disclosing what happened to her – it is thanks to her bravery that Singh has been convicted and is unable to cause further harm," Webb said.

(With inputs from agencies)

Handpicked stories, in your inbox

A newsletter with the best of our journalism

Location :

London, United Kingdom (UK)

First Published:

February 22, 2026, 06:33 IST

News nri uk Indian Man Convicted Of Rape In London After Luring Woman With Fake Job Offer

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Entire Article