ARTICLE AD BOX
Last Updated:February 16, 2026, 16:09 IST
Abbas Araghchi to meet Rafael Grossi in Geneva before US-Iran nuclear talks, discussing missiles, sanctions, and uranium enrichment amid rising tensions.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. (AFP photo)
Iran’s foreign minister, Abbas Araghchi, said he will meet the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) chief on Monday, ahead of US-Iran nuclear talks scheduled to be held on Tuesday.
Araghchi reached Geneva on Monday for the “indirect" Iran–US nuclear talks that will be mediated by Oman. Previously, the US had said topics that will be taken up for discussion included Iran’s ballistic missiles and support for regional proxies.
“The foreign minister has arrived in Geneva at the head of a diplomatic and expert delegation to take part in the second round of nuclear negotiation," AFP quoted Iran’s state-run IRIB’s post on Telegram channel.
Also Read: Iran Ready To Consider Compromises For Nuclear Deal If US Lifts Sanctions: Deputy Foreign Minister
In a post on X, Araghchi said: “, as well as other international officials.
Also Read: ‘Iran Won’t Be Allowed To Have Nuclear Weapons’: Marco Rubio Says Trump Wants To Reach A Deal
Similar talks were held last year after Israel started the 12-day war on Iran, during which the US bombed Iranian nuclear sites.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday that any deal must involve the removal of all enriched uranium from Iran, as well as Tehran’s ability to enrich more.
“There should be no enrichment capability… dismantle the equipment and the infrastructure that allows you to enrich in the first place," he said during a speech in Jerusalem.
According to Associated Press, US President Donald Trump has repeatedly threatened to use force to compel Iran to agree to constrain its nuclear programme. Recently, he threatened Iran over its deadly crackdown on recent nationwide protests.
In response, Iran has repeatedly said it would respond with an attack of its own.
In a recent interview with BBC, Iran’s deputy foreign minister said the ball was “in America’s court to prove that they want to do a deal". “If they are sincere, I’m sure we will be on the road to an agreement," he said.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, meanwhile, said Iran will never be permitted to acquire a nuclear weapon, while noting that President Donald Trump still prefers a diplomatic solution to resolve tensions with Tehran.
On Friday, Trump said a change of government in Iran would be the “best thing that could happen". He sent a second aircraft carrier to the Middle East to ratchet up military pressure.
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
First Published:
February 16, 2026, 16:09 IST
News world Iran Foreign Minister Araghchi To Meet IAEA Chief Ahead Of Nuclear Talks
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More
3 days ago
11






English (US) ·