ARTICLE AD BOX
Built with ICU, emergency and operation theatres, the fully constructed facility awaits staff approval and equipment installation, as officials cite administrative delays and residents demand urgent government intervention.

A view of a non-operational government hospital building in Kanpur's Naubasta.
A 100-bed government hospital built at a cost of Rs 45 crore in Naubasta, South Kanpur, has remained locked for more than a year, leaving nearly 20 lakh residents without access to a major public healthcare facility in the area.
The building stands complete with modern infrastructure, including an intensive care unit, operation theatres, emergency services and outpatient departments. Yet the main gate remains shut. No doctors, nurses or support staff have been deployed.
The delay, officials say, is due to administrative hurdles.
Chief Medical Officer Haridutt Nemi said the project has been held up because of pending manpower sanctions and procedural formalities. Files have moved back and forth between departments, and the handover process is still underway. Progress, however, has been slow.
For residents, the delay has come at a cost.
Akash, a local resident, recalled how his father died of a heart attack while being rushed to a distant hospital. Traffic congestion delayed their journey. “If the Naubasta hospital had been operational, we could have reached within minutes,” he said.
South Kanpur, with a population of over 20 lakh, does not have a large government hospital. Patients are forced to travel long distances for treatment, often losing critical time in emergencies.
The situation has also sparked political debate. Residents point out that a nearby BJP office building, constructed around the same time as the hospital, is fully functional. They question why the hospital, despite being ready, remains unopened.
Uttar Pradesh Brajesh Pathak, who also holds the health portfolio, has sought reports on the delay. However, no concrete steps have followed. The inauguration deadline, initially set for March 2025, has passed without staff appointments or installation of medical equipment.
Local residents and community representatives are now demanding immediate action. They are urging the administration to expedite recruitment, supply necessary equipment and make the hospital operational without further delay.
Shivram Singh, BJP District President (South), said the Deputy Chief Minister has taken cognisance of the issue. “The work is going on and the hospital will be ready within two months,” he said.
- Ends
Published On:
Feb 17, 2026
Tune In
2 hours ago
7







English (US) ·