Karnataka Govt Withdraws Ladle Mashak Dargah Riot Cases, Over 100 Accused May Walk Free

46 minutes ago 3
ARTICLE AD BOX

Last Updated:May 22, 2026, 17:49 IST

The seven withdrawn cases include serious charges such as rioting, attempt to murder, attack on police personnel and public servants, and damage to government property.

 PTI)

Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah. (File Photo: PTI)

The Siddaramaiah-led Karnataka government has withdrawn seven riot-related cases linked to the 2022 violence at Ladle Mashak Dargah in Aland town, cabinet documents accessed by CNN-News18 reveal.

The decision, taken by the state cabinet following a recommendation by Assembly Speaker U.T. Khader, has triggered sharp political backlash and threats of legal action from Hindu groups.

The withdrawn cases include serious charges such as rioting, attempt to murder, attack on police personnel and public servants, and damage to government property. More than 100 accused persons are likely to benefit from the withdrawal.

What the documents say

According to cabinet documents reviewed by CNN-News18, the government itself acknowledged the “serious nature" of the violence. One of the accused, identified as Akib Ansari, allegedly threatened police personnel saying, “Tum wahi log ho, tumko nahi chodenge."

The documents further state that “officers on bandobast duty were attacked with murderous intent and government vehicles were damaged." The report also describes how a mob armed with rods, swords and sticks allegedly charged from New Ansari Mohalla shouting “Allahu Akbar", leaving a DSP and a constable severely injured.

The violence

The violence took place in February 2022 in Karnataka’s Aland town during tensions surrounding the Ladle Mashak Dargah. Police had registered multiple FIRs after the clashes.

The controversy has intensified as the riot-related cases were included among a larger list of 42 protest-related cases withdrawn by the cabinet, largely linked to farmers’ protests and pro-Kannada agitations. Critics allege the government “silently" added the riot cases to that list.

Opposition reacts

Leader of Opposition Chalavadi Narayanaswamy strongly criticised the move. “This is appeasement politics by Siddaramaiah. How can they withdraw cases that are currently in court?" he told CNN-News18.

“These are cases with serious charges. They attacked policemen and torched police vehicles," he added.

Hindu activist Hiremath also condemned the government’s decision and warned of a court battle. Recalling the incident, he alleged that Hindu activists who had gathered for Shivaratri purification rituals were attacked.

“In 2022, when all of us had gone there on the day of Shivaratri for purification rituals, the dargah committee and Muslim youths present there attacked us with stones, sticks and swords," he said.

“They damaged police vehicles and even assaulted and injured the Superintendent of Police. The vehicle of then Union Minister Bhagwanth Khuba was also damaged."

Hiremath said police had registered six cases over the violence and another case linked to the hijab issue, taking the total to eight cases in Aland that have now been withdrawn.

“He wrote to the Home Department recommending that cases against innocent people be withdrawn. I condemn U.T. Khader’s action. We are already preparing for a legal battle," Hiremath said.

The Congress government, however, defended the move. Saleem Ahmed said such withdrawals were not unprecedented and similar decisions had been taken by previous governments, including the BJP.

“This is not the first instance of such case withdrawals. Similar withdrawals happened during the BJP government as well. It is not a new practice," he said.

Ahmed added that dozens of cases were being reviewed and the process followed legal procedures. “There are multiple cases being discussed or reviewed. It follows legal procedures and similar actions were taken by previous governments too," he said.

Handpicked stories, in your inbox

A newsletter with the best of our journalism

News india Karnataka Govt Withdraws Ladle Mashak Dargah Riot Cases, Over 100 Accused May Walk Free

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Entire Article