ARTICLE AD BOX
3 min readThiruvananthapuramFeb 19, 2026 07:40 AM IST
With the sequel to the controversial film, Kerala Story, scheduled to be released on February 27, Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan on Wednesday said the people of Kerala should reject “hate campaigns” and strongly uphold the values of truth, secularism, and brotherhood.
A trailer for Kerala Story 2 was released this week on social media. It opens with a warning that India would become an “Islamic state” in the next 25 years. The film is the second part of Kerala Story, which depicts four women who converted to Islam before being recruited by the Islamic State. It was released in Kerala in April 2024, ahead of Lok Sabha elections. Assembly elections are set to be held in Kerala this year.
In a statement, Vijayan said, “The release of a second part of ‘The Kerala Story’, which was made with the agenda of spreading hatred against Kerala and insulting our secular traditions, should be seen seriously.”
He said the first movie, which was “filled with lies, hate, and anti-Kerala propaganda and produced with communal motives”, had been rejected by people of the state.
“Those who fear Kerala’s model of brotherhood and secularism are the forces behind these continued hate campaigns. Sangh Parivar had circulated this ludicrous and false narrative of ‘The Kerala Story’. They spread misleading propaganda by portraying even mutually agreed-upon marriages as forced religious conversion. They view Kerala with hostility because it is a land without communal riots, where people belonging to different religions coexist with mutual respect and cooperation. These forces, which try to shatter the peace and harmony of our land, are the true enemies of our state,” he said.
Vijayan pointed out that when a film titled Beef was not granted screening permission simply because of its title, it is “surprising how films that spread division and hatred in society got the nod for screening”.
He said Kerala, which is at the forefront of sustainable development and is also a model in maintaining law and order and religious harmony, should reject attempts to portray the state as a centre of terrorism. “It is the onus of each one of us to prove that Kerala’s secular foundation cannot be shaken by false propaganda,” he said.
Story continues below this ad
“Alongside firmly rejecting hate campaigns with contempt, we must strongly uphold the values of truth, secularism, and brotherhood. Kerala is our pride. Truth must prevail over lies. For that, we must stand united,” he added.
Shaju Philip is a Senior Assistant Editor at The Indian Express, where he leads the publication's coverage from Kerala. With over 25 years of experience in mainstream journalism, he is one of the most authoritative voices on the socio-political, religious, and developmental landscape of South India. Expertise, Experience, and Authority Decades of Regional Specialization: Shaju has spent more than two decades documenting the "Kerala Model" of development, its complex communal dynamics, and its high-stakes political environment. Key Coverage Beats: His extensive reporting portfolio includes: Political & Governance Analysis: In-depth tracking of the LDF and UDF coalitions, the growth of the BJP in the state, and the intricate workings of the Kerala administration. Crime & Investigative Journalism: Noted for his coverage of high-profile cases such as the gold smuggling probe, political killings, and the state’s counter-terrorism efforts regarding radicalization modules. Crisis Management: He has led ground-level reporting during major regional crises, including the devastating 2018 floods, the Nipah virus outbreaks, and the Covid-19 pandemic response. ... Read More
Stay updated with the latest - Click here to follow us on Instagram
© The Indian Express Pvt Ltd







English (US) ·