ARTICLE AD BOX
Last Updated:May 22, 2026, 11:57 IST
Harry Maguire says he is shocked and gutted on missing from England's 2026 World Cup squad, his family condemn the decision despite his strong season for Manchester United

Harry Maguire at Manchester United (AP)
England defender Harry Maguire has admitted he was left “shocked and gutted" after being omitted from the 2026 FIFA World Cup squad by manager Thomas Tuchel.
Tuchel is set to officially announce his 26-man squad on Friday, but players were informed of the decisions in advance. Maguire, who returned to the national team setup in March after an 18-month absence, confirmed on social media that he will not be travelling to North America this summer.
“I was confident I could have played a major part this summer for my country after the season I’ve had. I’ve been left shocked and gutted by the decision," Harry Maguire posted online.

“I’ve loved nothing more than putting that shirt on and representing my country over the years.
“I wish the players all the best this summer."
Harry Maguire Stars With Manchester United
The 33-year-old centre-back enjoyed a strong campaign with Manchester United, becoming a key figure after Michael Carrick took charge in January. His performances helped United secure a third-place finish in the Premier League, leading many fans to expect his inclusion in the England squad.
Maguire’s omission also sparked an emotional reaction from his family. His mother, Zoe, posted on social media: “Absolutely disgusted."
His brother Joe also criticised the decision, writing: “This might possibly be the worst decision I’ve ever seen in my life. No words."
Several other high-profile names, including Cole Palmer, Phil Foden, Luke Shaw and Morgan Gibbs-White, are also expected to miss out.
Maguire had earlier spoken emotionally about his England recall in March, revealing how much it meant to his family.
“It’s amazing. It’s something I’ve missed," he said at the time.
“When you don’t get picked, when you’ve been a regular for six or seven years, it’s tough. I spoke to the manager and he told me I was in.
“I phoned my family. My mum was on holiday and she was crying."
(With inputs from Agencies)
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
Location :
London, United Kingdom (UK)
News sports football Manchester United Star 'Shocked And Gutted' After Being Left Out Of England's 2026 FIFA World Cup Squad
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More
47 minutes ago
3




English (US) ·