ARTICLE AD BOX
![]()
MCM commissioner Pradeep Singh confirmed the civic body had received an email from the mayor requesting a vehicle inspection, but acknowledged the drivers’ complaints of intimidation
Gurgaon: Doorstep waste collection across Manesar came to a halt on Thursday after the private agency handling the work suspended operations, alleging intimidation, harassment and political interference during an official vehicle verification drive.The controversy erupted when drivers and company staff accused Manesar mayor Inderjeet Kaur Yadav’s husband, Rakesh Yadav — who holds no official position in Municipal Corporation of Manesar (MCM) — of conducting an unauthorised inspection of the agency’s waste collection vehicles. Drivers alleged they were threatened, humiliated and warned their vehicles would not be allowed to operate.According to the company, MCM officials had directed the agency to bring all 184 vehicles deployed for door-to-door collection to Kankrola on Wednesday evening for verification, with the joint commissioner’s office and the mayor expected to oversee the process.The firm complied, stationing all vehicles at the site, but the mayor did not show up. Instead, her husband arrived with two councillors and began questioning drivers about GPS installations, vehicle ownership and rental agreements. The questioning quickly turned hostile.“The drivers clearly informed them that the vehicles had been hired as per the agreement with the civic body, but they were then told the vehicles would not be allowed to operate,” a company official said.
The agency further alleged that an unauthorised group misbehaved with staff, threatened workers with jail and used police presence to intimidate drivers and helpers.Gaurav Joshi, business head of Pooja Consulation — the firm awarded the five-year doorstep waste collection contract by MCM five months ago — said the company had no objection to genuine inspections. “We strongly question under what authority the mayor’s husband interfered and why our drivers were threatened.
This raises serious concerns of misuse of influence and violation of worker dignity,” he said. The firm has demanded the return of seized mobile phones, action against those involved and assurances of a safe working environment.MCM commissioner Pradeep Singh confirmed the civic body had received an email from the mayor requesting a vehicle inspection, but acknowledged the drivers’ complaints of intimidation. “I have called a coordination meeting of elected representatives and the agency to resolve the matter and resume doorstep collection at the earliest,” he said.Manesar senior deputy mayor Praveen Yadav said: “The mayor’s husband is not authorised to carry out such an inspection. Family members of elected representatives have no right to conduct the business of a municipal corporation.”An MCM official, speaking anonymously said the contractor was recently paid Rs 2 crore after a delay of four months. “It was 40% short of the contracted amount. The mayor, the official said, has since sought a probe into the payment, objecting that it was released without her signature. Nowhere in Haryana does such a provision exist mandating the mayor’s consent for releasing payment to a contractor,” the official said.The mayor did not respond to calls or messages from TOI.



English (US) ·