McLaren Scared Of 'Dangerous' Starts? 'Start In The Pit Lane', SaysVerstappen

16 hours ago 6
ARTICLE AD BOX

Last Updated:February 19, 2026, 16:09 IST

Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen dismiss safety fears over Formula 1’s 2026 race-start changes.

Hamilton and Verstappen at a presser ahead of the F1 Testing in Bahrain (AFP)

Hamilton and Verstappen at a presser ahead of the F1 Testing in Bahrain (AFP)

Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen have brushed off concerns that Formula 1’s new 2026 race-start procedure poses a safety risk.

With the removal of the MGU-H from the 2026 power units, drivers must manually spool up their turbos to eliminate lag: a longer, more delicate process than the 2025 start sequence.

Over-revving risks triggering anti-stall, something seen repeatedly during Bahrain testing.

That’s sparked fears of stalled cars on the grid and potential collisions from unsighted drivers behind. Especially from the likes of McLaren, who have been pushing for the FIA for change.

Verstappen and Hamilton aren’t buying it.

“It is definitely not dangerous, and I think we should probably take that connotation away from it," Hamilton said. “It is just a longer procedure than it has been in the past… you can still pull away without the turbo going."

He admitted anti-stall could catch some drivers out, but added: “I don’t think it is dangerous."

Here’s the catch: Ferrari foresaw this issue last year and tried to convince teams to work together to address it, but was shot down.

And now, they hold the upper hand, having planned and engineered their new SF-26 for the same.

Verstappen’s Brutal Take

Red Bull Racing’s Verstappen offered little sympathy for teams raising alarm, including McLaren boss Andrea Stella, who wants the start procedure extended.

“You should start in the pit lane if you feel unsafe," Verstappen quipped. “You’ll catch up by Turn 4 anyway."

Subtle? Not quite.

Back-Row Concern, Not Panic

Cadillac’s Valtteri Bottas acknowledged one issue: drivers at the back of the grid have less time to build revs before lights out.

“My only concern is… you won’t have enough time to get the turbo spinning," he said. “But… I don’t see any element of danger."

The FIA has already tested tweaks, including an extra formation lap and a five-second pre-start warning with flashing grid panels.

Whether further changes arrive before the season-opening Australian Grand Prix remains to be seen.

Handpicked stories, in your inbox

A newsletter with the best of our journalism

First Published:

February 19, 2026, 16:06 IST

News sports formula-one McLaren Scared Of 'Dangerous' Starts? 'Start In The Pit Lane', SaysVerstappen

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Entire Article