The Ernakulam Rural police have proposed an intensive awareness drive to sensitise teenagers to the potential dangers of the perceived excessive influence of K-pop and related online content. The move comes in the backdrop of the alleged suicide of a Plus One student at Chottanikkara who, according to a note reportedly written by her, took the extreme step as she was unable to bear the grief over the death of a Korean friend she had met online.
District Police Chief (Ernakulam Rural) K.S. Sudarshan suggested the need for an awareness drive as a preventive measure in the wake of the Chottanikkara incident, as well as the recent death of three sisters in Ghaziabad who were allegedly obsessed with Korean culture.
“We are planning an awareness programme with the involvement of Protection Groups in schools and colleges,” he told the media.
On the investigation into the death of the girl in Chottanikkara, the officer said that the police had yet to find evidence of the involvement of a Korean national in the incident.
“As per the preliminary investigation, we have found that the girl was interested in learning Korean and watching films in that language. However, we have not been able to establish any connection between the girl and a Korean national,” Mr. Sudarshan said. He added that an advanced forensic examination of the girl’s mobile phone was required to trace whether any evidence was available.
Detailed statements of several friends and relatives of the girl had already been recorded, but they had not provided any clear lead, he said.
A case was registered under unnatural death after the girl was found dead in a water-filled quarry at Chottanikkara on January 27. A seven-member special investigation team (SIT) is probing the case.
5 days ago
8







English (US) ·