'Not Negotiated': India On Signing Document Condemning Israel's West Bank Plans

17 hours ago 6
ARTICLE AD BOX

Last Updated:February 20, 2026, 17:26 IST

This came after India joined 100 countries in signing a joint statement that criticised Israel’s “unilateral" measures in the occupied West Bank.

Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) Spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal. (PTI file photo)

Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) Spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal. (PTI file photo)

Days after India joined 100 countries in signing a joint statement that criticised Israel’s “unilateral" measures in the occupied West Bank, the Ministry of External Affairs said on Friday that it was not a negotiated document and India’s position was already expressed in the India-Arab League Ministerial Joint Statement.

“You may be aware that this was not a negotiated document as is usually the case in the UN. Our position on this issue was most recently expressed in the India-Arab League Ministerial Joint statement," said MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal during a press briefing.

Jaiswal was referring to the India-Arab Foreign Ministers’ meeting last month, where Prime Minister Narendra Modi reiterated India’s continued support for the people of Palestine and welcomed ongoing peace efforts, including the Gaza peace plan.

“‘Both sides reaffirmed their commitment to achieving a just, comprehensive, and lasting peace in the Middle East, according to international law, relevant UN resolutions and the Arab Peace Initiative. They called for a sovereign, independent and viable State of Palestine based on 1967 borders, living side by side in peace with Israel. Both parties supported the practice of inalienable rights of the Palestinian people," read a joint statement issued by India and Arab countries.

The MEA clarified that India has associated itself with the initiative, keeping in mind the concerns addressed by the statement.

Israel’s West Bank Plans

At least 100 countries, including Afghanistan, Australia, Bangladesh, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, the League of Arab States, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation and the European Union, signed the statement condemning Israel’s plans for the annexation of the West Bank.

The joint statement said, “We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel’s unlawful presence in the West Bank. Such decisions are contrary to Israel’s obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed."

It underlined strong opposition to any form of annexation and rejected all measures aimed at altering the demographic composition, character and status of the Palestinian Territory occupied since 1967, including East Jerusalem.

This came after Israel’s cabinet on Sunday approved further measures to tighten Israel’s control over the occupied West Bank and make it easier for settlers to buy land. Palestinians termed this move “de-facto annexation." The foreign ministry said the measure would promote transparency and help resolve land disputes.

The West Bank is among the territories that Palestinians seek for a future independent state. However, many on Israel’s religious right view it as Israeli land.

The Palestinian presidency condemned the step, saying it constitutes “a de-facto annexation of occupied Palestinian territory and a declaration of the commencement of annexation plans aimed at entrenching the occupation through illegal settlement activity."

(with inputs from agencies)

Handpicked stories, in your inbox

A newsletter with the best of our journalism

First Published:

February 20, 2026, 17:26 IST

News india 'Not Negotiated': India On Signing Document Condemning Israel's West Bank Plans

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Entire Article