ARTICLE AD BOX
Last Updated:May 21, 2026, 22:38 IST
During the meeting, the NTA informed the panel that its immediate priority is to ensure the smooth and fair conduct of the examination scheduled for June 21

A broader review of the examination system and security architecture for future exams is also expected to be undertaken to prevent recurrence of such incidents. File image
A marathon meeting of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Education on Thursday focused extensively on the NEET paper leak controversy, with members raising tough questions before officials of the National Testing Agency (NTA) and the Education Ministry over the conduct of examinations, accountability, and future safeguards.
According to sources, several questions were raised regarding the ongoing probe into the NEET paper leak case and the possibility of re-examination. However, officials maintained that detailed information could not be shared at this stage as the matter is currently under investigation by the CBI.
Sources said committee members questioned whether the NTA has adequate manpower to handle the scale of responsibilities entrusted to it. Members also sought answers on whether proper background verification had been carried out for individuals involved in setting question papers amid concerns that the leak may have originated through them.
During the meeting, the NTA informed the panel that its immediate priority is to ensure the smooth and fair conduct of the examination scheduled for June 21. Officials said fresh question papers are being prepared and additional security measures are being put in place to strengthen the examination process. The agency also informed the committee that it is working on developing an in-house mechanism to reduce dependence on external agencies in the conduct of examinations. Sources added that the NTA is also moving towards computer-based examinations in an attempt to minimise the possibility of paper leaks and gradually reduce reliance on the traditional pen-and-paper format.
Committee members suggested that multiple sets of question papers should be prepared and examinations conducted in two or three shifts to improve security and reduce the chances of leaks.
The meeting also discussed steps to ensure that the new academic session is not delayed after the June 21 examination. A broader review of the examination system and security architecture for future exams is also expected to be undertaken to prevent recurrence of such incidents.
The meeting, chaired by Digvijaya Singh, began at 11am and continued until nearly 4pm. Senior officials, including the NTA Chairperson, the Education Ministry Secretary, and top NTA functionaries, were present during the discussions. Committee members such as Rekha Sharma, Swati Maliwal, Rajeev Rai, Zia Ur Rehman Barq, Ravi Shankar Prasad, and Sambit Patra also attended the meeting.
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
News education-career Parliamentary Panel Grills NTA Over NEET Paper Leak, Pushes For Tougher Exam Safeguards
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More
18 minutes ago
4




English (US) ·