Sivaganga Custodial Death Case: Madras HC Dismisses Bail Petitions Of Four Cops

1 hour ago 6
ARTICLE AD BOX

Last Updated:February 17, 2026, 09:56 IST

Madras HC rejected bail petitions of four police personnel in connection with the Sivaganga custodial death case.

The CBI told the court that the alleged jewellery theft case against the deceased was closed. (AI-generated image)

The CBI told the court that the alleged jewellery theft case against the deceased was closed. (AI-generated image)

The Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court on Monday rejected the bail petitions of four police personnel arrested in connection with the custodial death of 29-year-old temple security guard, B Ajith Kumar, in Thiruppuvanam in Tamil Nadu’s Sivaganga district.

Justice S Srimathy dismissed the petitions filed by Ananth, Raja, Prabhu, and Sankaramanikandan. During the hearing, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) informed the high court that the jewellery theft complaint against Ajith Kumar, which had led to his arrest, was closed due to lack of evidence.

The judge remarked that a person had been beaten to death for no reason and questioned whether action would be taken against the complainant, identified as Nikitha, whose false allegations triggered the chain of events.

All About Sivaganga Custodial Death Case

Ajith Kumar died on June 28, 2025, while in police custody. He had been detained the previous day following a complaint alleging theft of jewellery. The autopsy revealed 44 injuries on his body, indicating extreme police brutality. Video footage later confirmed the violent treatment he endured during the investigation.

Following public outcry, the Madras High Court directed the CBI to probe the case as a custodial death. The central probe agency subsequently charged six officials during the probe, including constables Prabhu, Kannan, Sankara Manikandan, Raja and Anand, along with police driver Ramachandran. Meanwhile, the Deputy Superintendent of Police (Manamadurai) was suspended, and Sivaganga Superintendent of Police Ashish Rawat was transferred.

Later, the CBI filed a charge sheet, naming the then Manamadurai DSP N Shanmugasundaram, the then Thiruppuvanam Inspector Ramesh Kumar, the then Sub-Inspector Sivakumar, and the then Head Constable Ilayaraja, who are lodged in prison.

Handpicked stories, in your inbox

A newsletter with the best of our journalism

First Published:

February 17, 2026, 09:56 IST

News india Sivaganga Custodial Death Case: Madras HC Dismisses Bail Petitions Of Four Cops

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Entire Article