ARTICLE AD BOX
![]()
Filmmaker Sudipto Sen's new film, 'Charak: Fair of Faith,' faces certification hurdles, with the CBFC forwarding it to a review committee. The movie, exploring extreme ritualistic practices including alleged human sacrifice and cannibalism within fringe cults, has its March 6 release in doubt. Sen insists the film exposes illegal acts, not provokes.
Filmmaker Sudipto Sen, who previously stirred nationwide debate with ‘The Kerala Story’, is once again at the centre of controversy. His upcoming project ‘Charak: Fair of Faith’, slated for a March 6 release, has been refused certification by the Central Board of Film Certification and forwarded to a review committee, putting its release timeline in doubt.Following the teaser launch, Sen described the film as a factual portrayal of certain extreme ritualistic practices associated with fringe cult groups. According to him, the narrative examines alleged acts such as human sacrifice and ritual cannibalism, presenting them as documented realities rather than fictional horror elements.
Cuts suggested in 'Charak', reasons remain unclear
The director confirmed that the board recommended edits, especially in scenes visually depicting cannibalism.
However, he maintains that the exact reasons for withholding certification were not fully explained. “I genuinely do not have a clear idea why the clearance was denied. I am willing to even opt for certain cuts and sacrifice some visuals for the film’s sake. But now the bigger question is lurking on my film itself.
At this juncture, I can only be hopeful,” Sen shared with News18.Sen added, “In our last meeting, I was told the film would be evaluated sympathetically.
We have presented documented material, not fiction. However, truth is always uncomfortable.”
Not provocation, but exposure, says Sudipto Sen
Sen insists the intention is not to inflame sentiments but to spotlight unlawful activities carried out in the name of belief. “If something illegal is happening in the name of faith, should the cinema look away?” he asked, adding, “My work is to bring facts before society.”The film also reportedly touches on the disappearances of missing persons, hinting at possible links to ritualistic networks, a theme that further amplifies its disturbing tone.
After ‘The Kerala Story 2’, another storm
The situation carries a certain irony. Sen’s earlier work faced criticism for allegedly targeting a specific community, whereas his new film reportedly examines practices within Hindu sects. Reflecting on the pushback, he said, “Even though I do not know the reasons for such resistance, ideological or otherwise, the first and the basic response to the film did not seem encouraging to me. However, after the release of the teaser, I got a huge response from my well-wishers.
”For now, the fate of ‘Charak: Fair of Faith’ rests with the review committee, leaving its theatrical prospects uncertain.




English (US) ·