Three children flee home in Gujarat after father takes away mobile phone

34 minutes ago 3
ARTICLE AD BOX

Three minor siblings from Gujarat’s Surat fled their home after allegedly being stopped from playing the online game Free Fire, police said. The trio also allegedly took Rs 15,000 from the house, and police suspect they boarded a train to Mumbai.

According to police, the missing children -- a 14-year-old boy, his 11-year-old brother, and their 9-year-old sister -- reportedly left home in the pre-dawn hours of May 19 while the family was asleep.

Family members told police that the children had become heavily addicted to playing the popular online battle game Garena Free Fire on their father’s mobile phone.

According to the complaint, the father had travelled to his native village late last month and had accidentally left his phone at home. During his absence, the children allegedly spent long hours playing games on the device.

When he returned, the children’s mother expressed concern that the siblings had become excessively dependent on mobile gaming. In an attempt to curb the habit, the father reportedly removed the SIM card from the phone three days before the incident and locked the device inside a cupboard.

Police said the restriction angered the children, who then allegedly decided to leave home. The siblings, who belong to a labourer’s family engaged in Surat’s textile industry, are also suspected of taking around Rs 15,000 in cash before fleeing.

After discovering the children missing, the family immediately approached the police and filed a complaint.

“The complainant informed us that the children spent most of their time playing mobile games and engaging in similar activities. Upset over this, the father had scolded and counselled them. The children appear to have taken the matter seriously and left home with some belongings and cash,” Police Inspector SD Rathod said.

He added that five police teams had been formed to trace the siblings, with assistance from senior officers and other police units.

“Based on CCTV footage and preliminary investigation, we suspect the children may have boarded a train to Mumbai. We have received some positive leads, and teams are actively working at all possible locations,” Rathod said.

Police officials said CCTV footage reviewed so far indicates that the children appear to be safe.

- Ends

Inputs by Sanjay Rathod in Surat

Published On:

May 22, 2026 07:14 IST

Read Entire Article