ARTICLE AD BOX
Last Updated:May 22, 2026, 12:00 IST
The White House called off the signing event only a few hours before it was due to start. Invitees later received an email saying the ceremony had been postponed.

US President Donald Trump.
US President Donald Trump on Thursday abruptly shelved plans to sign a major executive order on artificial intelligence after facing resistance from some of America’s top technology leaders, according to a report by The Washington Post.
The White House had already invited leading technology executives for a formal signing ceremony in Washington DC. Some attendees were reportedly on their way to the capital when the event was suddenly cancelled.
Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office, Trump said he decided against signing the order because he “didn’t like" the draft.
“I really thought that could have been a blocker," Trump was quoted as saying by the outlet, while referring to the role of artificial intelligence in the US economy. “And I want to make sure that it’s not."
Musk, Zuckerberg Opposed Proposal
According to The Washington Post, several prominent technology figures contacted Trump shortly before the scheduled ceremony and urged him not to move ahead with the order.
Those who reportedly spoke to the president included Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg and former White House AI and crypto adviser David Sacks.
They reportedly argued that the proposed framework could slow AI development at a crucial time for the American economy and global competition.
The development also highlighted the continued influence of Silicon Valley leaders within the Trump administration, despite some no longer holding official government roles.
What The Draft Order Proposed
The draft executive order had been prepared after weeks of discussions between government officials and technology companies.
Under the proposal, AI firms would voluntarily share advanced or “frontier" AI systems with the government up to 90 days before public release. The aim was to allow authorities to assess possible security risks, dangerous capabilities and vulnerabilities before launch.
The draft also clarified that it would not create a compulsory licensing or approval system for AI companies.
“Nothing in this section shall be construed to authorise the creation of a mandatory governmental licensing, preclearance, or permitting requirement for the development, publication, release, or distribution of new models, including frontier models," the draft stated.
Concerns Over Delays And Regulation
Despite the voluntary nature of the proposal, technology executives reportedly argued that companies would still feel pressured to seek government approval before releasing new AI systems.
David Sacks also warned that the process could slow routine updates to AI models and potentially become more restrictive under future administrations.
White House officials reportedly rejected those concerns and maintained that the proposal only applied to advanced AI systems and not smaller updates.
Debate Over China And AI Race
Some officials within the administration supported the proposal, arguing that a structured review process was necessary to prevent foreign adversaries, especially China, from exploiting AI systems to target US infrastructure.
However, Sacks and other technology leaders argued that lengthy government reviews could weaken American innovation and hand China an advantage in the global AI race.
That argument ultimately appears to have influenced Trump’s decision.
Ceremony Cancelled At Last Minute
The signing ceremony was cancelled just hours before it was scheduled to begin. Guests later received an email informing them that the event had been postponed.
“We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused and will be in touch as soon as we can with further details about a future date," the message said.
According to the report, several administration officials were caught off guard by the sudden cancellation, especially as discussions over the draft had continued late into Wednesday night.
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
News world Trump Pulls Back AI Executive Order After Musk, Zuckerberg Warn Against Curbs On Innovation
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More
40 minutes ago
2






English (US) ·