ARTICLE AD BOX
Last Updated:February 16, 2026, 23:42 IST
The decision to delay the May local elections in 30 districts had faced intense criticism since it was first announced last month.

UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer. (PTI file photo)
The UK government on Monday announced it will no longer postpone local elections for millions of voters across England, marking a U-turn by British Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s administration. Hard-right leader Nigel Farage called the reversal as a “victory"
The decision to delay the May local elections in 30 districts had faced intense criticism since it was first announced last month. The postponement was originally justified by ministers as necessary to help deliver a major local government reorganisation.
However, the government said it was reversing course “in the light of recent legal advice."
UK Communities Secretary Steve Reed confirmed in a letter to council leaders that “all local elections in May 2026 will now go ahead". He also said the ministry will provide up to £63 million in funding to 21 areas undergoing reorganisation to support the elections.
ALSO READ: ‘No Social Media Platform Gets Free Pass’: UK PM Mulls Wider Internet Controls For Child Safety
Starmer’s government has faced criticism for missteps, resignations, and policy U-turns since winning a large parliamentary majority 19 months ago. Labour is widely expected to perform poorly in the local council elections, which cover services such as rubbish collection.
The contests include all 32 London boroughs, 16 metropolitan areas, and six county councils. Most of the elections that had been due to be postponed are in councils led or co-led by Labour, prompting opposition parties to accuse the government of undermining democracy.
Farage, leader of the hard-right Reform UK Party, had challenged the postponement in the High Court and was set to give evidence on Thursday.
Following the announcement, he said on X: “We took this Labour government to court and won. Only Reform UK fights for democracy."
(With inputs from agencies)
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
Location :
United Kingdom (UK)
First Published:
February 16, 2026, 23:42 IST
News world UK Govt Reverses Decision, Says All Local Elections Will Go Ahead After Backlash
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More
1 hour ago
6






English (US) ·