The Union government informed the Supreme Court on Friday (May 22, 2026) that 217 Indian nationals had joined the Russian Armed Forces during the Ukraine conflict, of whom 139 have been released from their contractual agreements.
A Bench headed by Chief Justice of India Surya Kant was informed by Additional Solicitor General Aishwarya Bhati that 49 of the 217 Indians had lost their lives in the conflict, while six were confirmed missing.
Of the 26 Indians whose families had approached the Supreme Court, the Centre said 14 were dead, 11 missing, and one incarcerated for a criminal offence. The government also said the mortal remains of eight individuals had been returned to their families.
Counsel appearing for the families questioned the identification of the mortal remains, saying they were beyond recognition. The counsel also sought compensation for the families and action against agents who had allegedly “trafficked” the youths to Russia.
Ms. Bhati said the government was extending support for the collection of DNA samples from family members to help identify the remains.
The petitioners had sought a judicial direction to the government, through the Ministry of External Affairs, to take “immediate diplomatic and consular measures through the Embassy of India in the Russian Federation to ascertain the whereabouts, legal status and safety of the Indian nationals named in the petition”.
They had also sought directions to the government to identify and prosecute persons involved in illegal overseas recruitment, trafficking, and exploitation of Indian citizens.
The petition further urged the court to direct the government to ensure that the Indian Mission in the Russian Federation conducted “welfare verification visits of the detained Indian nationals; facilitated communication between the detainees and their families; and they receive appropriate medical care, humanitarian treatment and legal assistance, wherever required”.
48 minutes ago
2





English (US) ·