Over 100 Mumbai Architects Red-Flag Underground Expansion Plans At Mahalaxmi Race Course

1 day ago 6
ARTICLE AD BOX

Last Updated:February 20, 2026, 10:02 IST

In a letter to CM Fadnavis and the BMC, the architects, among other concerns, warned that hollowing out the ground beneath the Mahalaxmi Race Course will have serious consequences

The group also warned that once heavy structures are built under the field, the land can never truly return to its original condition. (PTI/File)

The group also warned that once heavy structures are built under the field, the land can never truly return to its original condition. (PTI/File)

The proposed makeover of the Mahalaxmi Race Course in Mumbai has run into strong opposition from a group of 102 architects, designers and city planners who have written to the BMC and Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis expressing concerns over plans of underground expansion at the site.

Under the banner of the Mumbai Architects Collective, the group has sought a fresh review of the proposal before any work begins.

The project proposes building underground parking, access tunnels and a large sports complex beneath the race course grounds. Authorities have described it as an upgrade of a public garden. However, the architects say the proposal goes far beyond beautification and effectively turns the open ground into a major construction site below the surface.

They argue that the race course currently acts like a natural soak pit in a crowded part of South Mumbai. Digging deep and laying concrete underground, they say, will disturb how rainwater seeps into the soil and replenishes groundwater. In a city that faces flooding every monsoon, even unseen construction below the ground can worsen waterlogging in surrounding areas.

Mahalaxmi race course-2026-02-abe3f8264788b0c4360d1fdedddf2974

The group also warned that once heavy structures are built under the field, the land can never truly return to its original condition. Even if grass remains on top, the natural earth underneath will be replaced by concrete layers. According to them, cities around the world are trying to protect such large open grounds — not hollow them out.

They further questioned the manner in which the proposal is being presented. Calling it a simple garden improvement, they said, avoids the public scrutiny that large projects normally undergo. The planners insisted that citizens, environmental experts and independent professionals must be consulted before taking a final decision.

The architects said the race course is not just empty land but a rare breathing space that cools nearby neighbourhoods and helps air circulation in a dense part of the city.

In a sharp warning, the collective said moving ahead without proper study or consultation would permanently damage one of Mumbai’s last major open spaces. They demanded an immediate freeze on the proposal and signalled they are prepared to continue their opposition if authorities push forward regardless. No official response has been issued so far.

Handpicked stories, in your inbox

A newsletter with the best of our journalism

First Published:

February 20, 2026, 10:02 IST

News cities mumbai-news Over 100 Mumbai Architects Red-Flag Underground Expansion Plans At Mahalaxmi Race Course

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Entire Article