The Yadgir Deputy Commissioner has passed a preventive order against Hyderabad MLA Raja Singh from entering the district for a month even as Shivaji Jayanti celebrations were postponed.
Following the preventive order passed by the Deputy Commissioner Harshal Bhoyar, who is also District Magistrate, on Wednesday stopping Raja Singh Thakur, independent MLA from the Gosha Mahal Constituency in Hyderabad city in Telangana, from entering Yadgir district for one month, the scheduled Shobha Yatra and public function to celebrate Shivaji Maharaj Jayanti organised in Yadgir city by the Veer Savarkar Sena were postponed indefinitely.
Mr. Thakur was supposed to participate in the event as the chief speaker.
The Deputy Commissioner’s order came into force in pursuance of a report submitted by the Police Department stating that public peace will be harmed if Mr. Thakur participates and were to deliver a speech against a particular community.
Referring to several cases that have been registered previously against Mr. Thakur in different police stations in Telangana and in Yadgir following his speech against a particular community, the Deputy Commissioner, who exercised the power conferred under Sections 163 (1)(2) and (3) of Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Samhita 2023, passed the order preventing Mr. Thakur for a period of one month from entering the district to avoid possible disturbance in communal harmony by his speech during the event.
The organisers, who did not have an immediate option as the event was already scheduled on Thursday, postponed the event for an indefinite period, sources said.
According to the earlier schedule, the Shobha Yatra was organised in the city’s main road, starting from Bhavani temple near Kanaka Circle through Babu Jagjivan Ram Circle, Valmiki Nagar, Hattikuni Road, Gandhi Circle, Shivaji Circle, Mailapur Base and Hanuman Temple, and conclude at Gandhi Circle, where the open public function was scheduled to host nearly 3,000 people.
When the Deputy Commissioner’s order came into force on Thursday, the organisers postponed their scheduled event, the Shivaji Maharaj Jayanti celebration and the Shobha Yatra.
“We plan to challenge the Deputy Commissioner’s order in the High Court of Karnataka, Kalaburagi. The district administration has been trying to suppress the rights of people to celebrate the Jayanti of great warrior Shivaji Maharaj,” founder-president of Veer Savarkar Sena Parashuram Shegurkar told The Hindu over phone.
14 minutes ago
1






English (US) ·