Open safari vehicles have been banned from operating in Karnataka’s tiger reserves and wildlife sanctuaries.
Environment Minister Eshwar B. Khandre on Wednesday (May 20) instructed the Chief Wildlife Warden to instead deploy buses which are equipped with iron meshes and shatterproof glasses and modify the existing vehicles.
The directions come in the wake of a fatal incident at the Dubare Elephant Camp which claimed the life of a woman tourist.
In eight places
In the State, safaris are conducted at the Bandipur National Park, Nagarhole National Park, Kali Tiger Reserve, Biligiri Ranganathaswamy Hills (B.R. Hills), Bhadra Tiger Reserve, Male Mahadeshwara Hills (M.M. Hills), Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary, and K. Gudi.
The Minister said these tiger reserves and wildlife sanctuaries are frequented by tourists and wildlife enthusiasts from all over India and abroad. These measures are being put in place to ensure their safety.
“Fortunately, so far, there have been no incidents of wild animals like elephants and tigers attacking safari vehicles and causing loss of life in safari areas. However, it is important to take precautions and avert mishaps,” the Minister said.
No getting down
Mr. Khandre has also instructed officials to ensure that no tourists are allowed to get down from safari vehicles and enter forest areas.
He also said that ambulances should be deployed near safari centres and elephant camps, in addition to ensuring that every safari vehicle is equipped with first aid kits.
4 hours ago
4






English (US) ·