The Supreme Court on Wednesday (May 20, 2026) observed that a “woeful shortage” of personnel in Rajasthan’s Forest Department was severely impeding efforts to combat the mining mafia operating within the Chambal Gharial Sanctuary, and urged the State to expedite the recruitment process.
Taking up a suo motu proceeding initiated on the basis of news reports highlighting large-scale illegal sand mining in the tri-State sanctuary spread across Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, and Uttar Pradesh, a Bench of Justices Vikram Nath and Sandeep Mehta expressed serious concern over the acute understaffing in the Forest Department, particularly in view of Rajasthan’s vast and ecologically significant forest cover.

“Why is the Forest Department so understaffed in the State of Rajasthan? Rajasthan has such prime forests. It being so short-staffed is extremely serious,” the Bench observed.
The remarks were made while addressing Rajasthan’s Additional Chief Secretary (Forest), who was personally present in the courtroom pursuant to an earlier direction. On May 14, the top court had summoned senior bureaucrats from Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh for displaying what it described as a “wholly casual” approach towards preventing the “irreversible environmental degradation” occurring within the sanctuary.
Justice Mehta pointed out that the shortage of personnel had resulted in home guards being deployed to perform the duties of forest guards. “We are told that even in critical areas, home guards are driving forest vehicles,” he remarked.
‘Backlog’ in recruitment
The Bench also sought details regarding the last recruitment drive for forest guards. In response, the senior bureaucrat informed the court that the previous recruitment had taken place four years ago, prompting the Bench to observe that such a “backlog” was a matter of serious concern.
“Recruitment is being carried out for various departments... it will take one year,” the senior bureaucrat apprised the court.
Justice Mehta, however, observed that the recruitment process for the Forest Department ought to be prioritised and expedited. “Perhaps you can urge that the process be expedited... the Staff Selection Board can be asked to expedite recruitment for the Forest Department,” he said.
The Bench also flagged concerns that members of the mining mafia were often better armed than forest personnel. Earlier, the top court had expressed alarm at the impunity with which illegal sand miners operated within the ecologically fragile sanctuary zone, particularly after being informed of incidents in which forest officials had allegedly been killed by the mafia.
Additional Solicitor General Aishwarya Bhati, appearing for Rajasthan, informed the court that nearly ₹2.5 crore had been sanctioned by the Finance Department towards mobile patrol vehicles, communication equipment and protective gear for forest personnel. She further apprised the Bench that four permanent and seven temporary check posts had been established to monitor the sanctuary area.
The Bench, however, cautioned the State government against leaving “critical points” within the sanctuary unguarded owing to the shortage of staff.
‘Kingpins’ behind mining network
Senior advocate Nikhil Goel, assisting the court as amicus curiae, pointed out that although the State had disclosed in its affidavit that nearly 625 FIRs had been registered, the authorities had been unable to identify the persons orchestrating the illegal mining operations. “It is not possible to believe that there are 600 arrests, but they are not able to find out who actually runs the operation,” he submitted.
Justice Mehta observed that the authorities must focus on apprehending the “kingpins” behind the mining network. “The kingpins have to be caught hold of... the State needs to focus on finding the source,” he remarked.
In response, the State government informed the Bench that in certain cases the principal perpetrators had been apprehended and criminal proceedings initiated against them.
During the hearing, Justice Mehta also observed that residents of nearby villages ought to be provided with alternative sources of livelihood so that they were not compelled to engage in illegal mining activities. “You have to provide alternative employment...that is a policy the State has to come up with,” he said.
Ms. Bhati acknowledged the concern and submitted that the State government was conducting awareness programmes in gram panchayats regarding the rollout of various incentive schemes. “It has to be a concentrated effort because sometimes it is easy to get easy money,” she remarked.
The Bench said it would examine the affidavits filed by the States as well as the National Highways Authority of India, and pass further orders on May 26.
Earlier, the top court had directed the deployment of high-resolution, Wi-Fi-enabled CCTV cameras at strategic points across the sanctuary, particularly along routes commonly used by illegal miners and in vulnerable stretches of the Chambal river. It had also ordered GPS tracking to be installed in all vehicles and equipment involved in mining in the two critical districts of Morena (Madhya Pradesh) and Dholpur (Rajasthan).
7 hours ago
3





English (US) ·