US Labour Secretary's Husband Barred From Office Amid Sexual Assault Claims: Report

1 hour ago 5
ARTICLE AD BOX

Last Updated:February 20, 2026, 17:30 IST

The women told department officials that DeRemer, an anaesthesiologist, had touched them inappropriately at the Labour Department’s building.

US Labour Secretary Lori Chavez-DeRemer with her husband, Shawn DeRemer. (Image via X/@RepLCD)

US Labour Secretary Lori Chavez-DeRemer with her husband, Shawn DeRemer. (Image via X/@RepLCD)

Shawn DeRemer, the husband of US Labour Secretary Lori Chavez-DeRemer, has been barred from the department’s headquarters in Washington following allegations by at least two female staff members that he sexually assaulted them, the New York Times reported on Thursday.

According to the Times, the women told department officials that DeRemer, an anaesthesiologist, had touched them inappropriately at the Labour Department’s building on Constitution Avenue.

One incident reportedly took place on the morning of December 18 last year and was captured on office security cameras, showing DeRemer giving one of the women an extended embrace. The footage was reviewed as part of a criminal investigation.

Reuters spoke to a police spokesman from Washington’s Metropolitan Police Department, who confirmed that the department’s sexual assault unit was investigating a report of sexual contact against a person’s will at the Labour Department’s building on December 18.

The spokesman did not confirm whether the case involved DeRemer specifically, but noted that it was the only police report linked to the department’s address in the past three months.

The Times reported that DeRemer was barred from entering the department after the women came forward. Their concerns emerged in January during an internal probe by the department’s inspector general into alleged misconduct by Chavez-DeRemer and her senior staff.

Several members of the Labour Secretary’s inner circle were reportedly placed on administrative and investigative leave amid the inquiry.

(With inputs from Reuters)

Handpicked stories, in your inbox

A newsletter with the best of our journalism

Location :

United States of America (USA)

First Published:

February 20, 2026, 17:28 IST

News world US Labour Secretary's Husband Barred From Office Amid Sexual Assault Claims: Report

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Entire Article