Former UFC champion Cain Velasquez released on parole after 11 months in prison reunites with family following 2022 shooting case

1 hour ago 6
ARTICLE AD BOX

Former UFC champion Cain Velasquez released on parole after 11 months in prison reunites with family following 2022 shooting case

Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez Released on Parole After Prison Term, Reunites With Family (Image via Getty)

Cain Velasquez, a former UFC heavyweight champion was released on parole after spending 11 months in prison. On Sunday, he walked out of a California prison and reunited with his family.

A video shared on X shows him stepping off a shuttle and hugging his children. A mariachi band played music as he arrived, turning the moment into a small welcome home celebration. Cain Velasquez had been serving time after pleading no contest to charges connected to a February 2022 shooting. He admitted in court that he fired shots at a truck carrying Harry Goularte. Authorities said Harry Goularte had been accused of molesting one of Velasquez’s young family members.

The case quickly became one of the most talked-about stories in mixed martial arts. Velasquez was sentenced to five years. However, he received credit for time already served in county jail and time spent under house arrest before his 2024 trial. That credit reduced the time he had left to serve, leading to his parole release.

Cain Velasquez pleads no contest in shooting case involving Harry Goularte as UFC CEO Dana White publicly supports former champion

The shooting happened in February 2022 in California. Prosecutors said Cain Velasquez chased a vehicle carrying Harry Goularte and fired multiple shots.

One of Goularte’s relatives, who was also in the vehicle, was injured but survived. Velasquez was later arrested and charged.In court, Cain Velasquez entered a no contest plea. That means he did not fight the charges but also did not admit guilt in the usual way. The judge sentenced him to five years in prison. Because he had already spent months in jail and under strict home monitoring, that time counted toward his sentence.Meanwhile, Harry Goularte is still facing a felony charge of lewd acts with a minor, according to ESPN. The case against him remains active. ESPN also reported that Cain Velasquez filed a civil lawsuit against Goularte.Throughout the legal process, the UFC showed support for the former champion. UFC CEO Dana White wrote a letter to the court. In that letter, Dana White called Cain Velasquez “a model example of how a professional athlete should carry himself.”Now, after nearly a year behind bars, Cain Velasquez is back with his family. The video of his release shows smiles, hugs, and music. For many fans, it marked the end of a long and emotional chapter in the life of the former UFC heavyweight champion.

Read Entire Article